Chapter 9: Motherly Confrontations

~Kyle~

It has been a few weeks since I woke up. Yana came to check on me and the boys. She fell in love them. "Look at you," she cooed. "You two are so cute. Nero, Vaughn, are such are such darlings!" She was absolutely smitten. Even calling herself 'Auntie Yana' to them. She showers them with toys and snacks when she comes by. She's favors Vaughn more as he's the weaker of the two. 

"I was a very weak baby too," she said. "My mama was was worried each time I cried."

"He's basically pried off from Nero," I said. "Don't ask me how. I sure don't understand the ins and outs of magic. I just know that Vaughn needs extra attention, since he has breathing problems at night."

She then cooed to Vaughn more. The boy's being spoiled he is. Nero was spoiled as well. He was spoiled by Dante. She gives him toys, especially rubber weapons. Just recently, she gave him a rubber sword. Vaughn was spoiled with plushies by his Aunt Yana. This made Vergil upset as her sons' attention were to their aunts, not here. 

She trained harder each morning, coming up for breakfast looking more breathless. I caught her before Dante woke up for breakfast. "Vergil," I called her as she came for breakfast. "Come here."

"What?" she asked apprehensively. "I just finishing up my morning training."

I took one arm and pulled her in for a hug. "I noticed that you were more upset for a while."

She struggled but relented after a few moments. She settled in my hug with a sigh. I led her to take a seat and served her breakfast.

She took a sip of her tea and sighed. "I feel like a failure of a mother."

I was taken aback by her statement. "No you're not." I pushed back. "You're not a failure. If you are, you will toss Nero out."

She hissed at the preposition. "Nero is my son," she said in a dark tone, I heard tinge of demonic in her voice. "If there is anyone fit to raise him. It will be me, you...and Dante." She dragged the last of that sentence. 

"Is it because Dante and Yana was spoiling them?" I asked. She remained silent, and did not look up at me. It was her way of acknowledgment.

I shook my head in disappointment. "Vergil," I said, a hand on her shoulder and looking her straight in the eye. "They're babies right now, of course they love being coddled and cooed at. I know what kind of person you are."

"Compared to Dante-"

"You're you." I cut her off. "You are a cold person, obviously. Yet, I still love you. You just need to be there. They will come to you. Just look at Vaughn. He loves hanging by you."

"Vaughn? Are you sure?"

I chuckled with obliviousness. "Seems like you didn't notice him. I see him at the corner of the behind the desk of the office. You know he likes hiding in the piles of fluffy things. I saw Nero joined him napping there too sometimes."

"Huh," she mused. "I was never thought about that. I didn't sense them behind me at all. Very sly those two, or it may be a defensive they have to shield themselves."

"Sense?" I asked. "You mean like sensing their presence like those on shows?"

She laughs. "Yes. Something like that. I see you have a lot more to learn. I will teach you that next time you have a your off days."