Chapter 10: Are We There Yet?

Rengoku's POV:

I opened my eyes and yawned. I sat up, stretched and then looked around. Of course, sitting right next to me was Akaza, who was already awake.

Kyojuro: "...Well you're wide awake."

Akaza: "Mhm."

He was just sitting on the bed with his legs up to his chest and his head resting on them. He was staring at me.

Kyojuro: "..How long have you been awake?"

Akaza: "Well, I don't know, like an hour?"

Kyojuro: "Uh huh.."

Akaza: "Relax, the sun was already up when I woke up. I can't really go anywhere without you and that box."

Kyojuro: "Phew."

I got out of the bed and walked over to the desk with my stuff on it. I put my haori back on.

Kyojuro: "So, you actually got to sleep, eh?"

Akaza: "I guess so. Although it was hard at first, I laid there for quite a while before actually falling asleep. Damn, Kokushibo makes falling asleep look so easy.."

Kyojuro: "How do you feel?"

Akaza: "It was nice. I had forgotten that sleep could make you feel energized. Huh, maybe that's why Kokushibo takes naps in his free time.."

Kyojuro: "Who's Kokushibo?"

Akaza: "Mr. Upper Moon One."

I went wide eyed and looked at him. He shrugged. I shook my head and put my sword in my belt. I picked up the box and put it on the bed.

Kyojuro: "Welp, let's go. We have to start our journey back. It takes an entire day to get here."

Akaza: "Okay."

Akaza shrunk, walked into the box and got comfy. He grabbed his excess cloth and stuffed it next to him. Suddenly, he stared at the left side of the box.

Akaza: "Kyojuro, why are there 2 little wedges in the wall?

Kyojuro: "Oh! I forgot to show you that last night. Here let me.."

I put 2 fingers in the wedges and pulled. A rectangular prism of wood came out, letting the light from the room in.

Kyojuro: "I made this little window for you, in case you wanted to look outside a bit while we're walking. There's one on the other wall too."

I pointed to the right side of the box.

Kyojuro: "And when the sunlight wants to come in, you can just put the wood back into the hole."

I put the wood back into the hole and patted it. I went to smile at Akaza, but then saw he was staring at me wide eyed and blushing. He looked like he just fell harder for me. I backed my arm out of the box and looked away, putting my hand on my face to cover my now flustered cheeks. I closed my eyes for a second then looked back down at Akaza.

Kyojuro: "Anyways, are you ready for the long journey ahead?"

He snapped out of his trance and looked up at me.

Akaza: "Yep."

I closed the door and put the box on. I walked out of the room and over to Mitsuri's room. I knocked on the door. The door opened and she was already ready to go.

Kyojuro: "Well, good morning Mitsuri! I'm assuming you're ready to go?"

Mitsuri: "I am and good morning to you Kyojuro!"