I Want You To Love Me (James Potter )

PROMPT: James and Y/N are friends with benefits. She fell in love with the Gryffindor, who's too busy being in love with Lily Evans to realize. After a night of drinking, the truth comes out.

WARNINGS: mentions of smut (not detailed), underaged drinking, sexual tension, angst? 

You watched from the corner of the room as the entire Gryffindor Common Room erupted in laughter as the Marauders told the story of one of their infamous pranks. James was positively glowing, dancing under the moonlight that managed to sneak through the curtains. In his hand was a cup, that no doubt contained his alcoholic concoctions that nobody but he dared to try. His eyes closed in glee as he threw his head back in laughter, watching Sirius mimic the way Snape looked after their successful prank.

You smiled behind your cup, truly enchanted by the boy you found yourself longing for. When you said yes to your agreement, you thought your biggest worry would be an unexpected pregnancy, caused by two teenagers who were too careless for their own good. You thought your biggest worry would be the teasing from the rest of the Marauders— which still happened, just not to the extremity that you expected. You thought that your biggest worry would be some awkward tension after the first time between you and James, that you knew would subside eventually.

You never thought that you'd fall in love— fall so stupidly, irretrievably, and hopelessly, in love with the boy who loved another.

You watched his eyes follow Lily as she walked across the room, chatting away with her friends about her latest Potions assignment. James didn't even try to conceal his affections for her. He always loved her so loudly, as if his silence would mean he loved her any less than he actually did. You just had to sit back and watch as her rejections only fueled him to try harder. It was somewhat admirable, though you knew that you would've found it more endearing had you not been in love with him.

James finally tore his eyes away from Lily, sensing you looking at him from afar. He flashed you a toothy grin, completely oblivious to the thoughts that were plaguing your mind and the butterflies that swarmed in your stomach. A playful smirk tugged his lips as he furrowed his eyebrows, lifting his hand up to call you over.

You shook your head, politely declining as you sipped from your cup. He rolled his eyes, dramatically sighing before making his way to you. He planted himself right in front of you, leaning against the post that was beside him. James ran his fingers down from the top of your arm to your fingers, absentmindedly twisting his fingers with yours. He's always been an affectionate friend, these simple actions were normal for the both of you, but it didn't stop your cheeks from burning red.

He chuckled, watching your reaction, "Do I make you flustered, Y/N? After all this time? After all we've done together, me touching your hand, is what gets you flustered?"

You shoved him, shaking your head to deny his claims, "The alcohol is getting to me, Potter. Don't flatter yourself."

"The alcohol?" he asked, not believing any of your words, "You've barely touched your drink. I'm pretty sure you've been sipping that drink for the last hour."

"Well, excuse me if I don't want to be pissed drunk tonight," you hummed, chugging your drink down anyway.

James licked his lips, watching the lone drop of alcohol slip past your pink lips. He brushed it away with his thumb, collecting the liquid before letting his own tongue taste it. His thumb stayed on top of his lips for a while, keeping you in a trance. You watched his tongue dart out of his mouth, softly licking the pad of his thumb, a teasing smile on his lips. He knew exactly what he was doing to you.

"Atta girl," he whispered, peering down at your cup to see it empty. He turned around, picking up a bottle of firewhisky and pouring a generous amount into your cup, "Are you sure you don't want to be pissed drunk tonight, sweetheart? It's a good night for it."