Cruel Summer (George Weasley)

PROMPT: based on cruel summer by taylor swift  Y/N and George broke up. however, they can't help but think about the summer they first confessed their love.

"For whatever it's worth, I love you. Ain't that the worst thing you've ever heard?"

George looked at you from the other side of the Great Hall, the emotion on his face unreadable. You wanted so badly to look away, the blush on your cheeks already getting worse by the second, but you couldn't peel your eyes away from him. He's still as beautiful as ever.

As you looked into his eyes, you were brought back to the endless summer nights you spent with him at the Burrow. One night in particular dominated your thoughts- the night you told him you loved him.

A soft knock echoed throughout the room, Hermione and Ginny shifting in their sleep but not waking up. You were still awake, staring intently at the moon in the sky. This was the first night that you didn't get to sneak into bed with George and you couldn't sleep without his warmth beside you. You sat up at the sound, whispering, "Come in."

Your boyfriend poked his head in, smiling when he saw you waiting for him. He motioned for you to get up, holding the door open for you. You nodded eagerly, slipping on your shoes and quietly tiptoeing out the door with him.

The minute you were out of the room, he engulfed you in his arms, "I missed you."

You sighed into his chest, "Me too."

He led you to his room, Fred sleeping soundly on the right side. George laced your fingers together, tugging on it to lead you to the window by his bed. He slowly stepped out, holding your hand to guide you to the roof. Once you were situated on the roof, like you did every night, he pulled you on top of him, "I can't sleep without you now."

"Good thing you won't ever need to," you teased, placing a feather light kiss on his nose.

"Yeah?" he cocked an eyebrow, pulling away to read the expression on your face. "I'm gonna have you forever?"

"For as long as you'll have me."

"Good."

You stayed there in silence, enjoying each other's presence. There was something in the air every time you were with George. There was adrenaline pumping through your veins, even when you were just laying there, not speaking. Everyday felt like an adventure with him and you loved every minute of it.

You stayed to yourself for the most part. You only spoke when you were spoken to and you stuttered over your words more times than you'd like to admit. You never would've thought that George knew who you were.

But George did know who you were. He was smitten with you the minute he heard your sweet voice echo through the hallways, late at night as you came back from helping Professor Sprout and Neville at the greenhouse. He was out late, setting up a prank with Fred when he heard your giggles as Neville told you a story from his first year at Hogwarts.

And when he saw you, he swore his heart gave out, right then and there.

You were the most beautiful girl he's ever seen in his life. He practically begged the younger Gryffindor to introduce him to you and when he finally did, he assured Neville that he was indebted to him forever.

Now, here you were, seven months later, and practically attached to the hip. Everything you did, George was with you. He loved making sure he was touching you every time he was with you- a hand on your knee, your fingers interlocked, sometimes he would link your pinkies together, subconsciously, as you did your homework and he came up with new products to sell. It was the little things that made your heart flutter in your chest.

You looked up at the man you loved, heart swelling with happiness when you saw his relaxed expression. His eyelashes curled up to touch his eyelids, strawberry lips parting after each exhale. He seemed to be asleep, unmoving from under you, besides his chest rising rhythmically. You kissed his jaw, letting your lips linger there for a moment before pulling away.

You cuddled into his chest some more, not able to get enough of him. You inhaled his scent, loving the way almost all of your clothes started to smell like him from how often you were next to him. You stared at him intently, making sure he was fast asleep before looking back out to the sky and watching the moon, trying to fall asleep. Before you could catch your words, you whispered, "I'm completely and utterly yours, George Weasley. I'm so hopelessly in love with you. I love you."

As you began to close your eyes, you felt him move from under you. Then, his lips ghosted over your ear, sleepy voice causing a tingle to run down your spine, "Do you mean it?"

Your eyes shot open, not expecting him to be awake for your confession. "Merlin, George. You're supposed to be sleeping."

He chuckled, rubbing his hand up and down your back when he felt you tense above him. George kissed the top of your head, "I'm completely and utterly yours, Y/N Y/L/N. I'm so hopelessly in love with you."

"This is embarrassing," you groaned, hiding your face in his chest.

"Why?" George asked, lifting your face to look at him. He leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on your lips, still managing to take your breath away. "I love you, too."

Still blissful from the short kiss, you leaned in again to give him another one. He gladly accepted it and kissed you longer this time, lips moving perfectly in sync with yours. After a few minutes of snogging, you pulled away, a playful smile on your now swollen lips, "You mean it?"

"With my entire being."

A hand waving in front of George's face broke your stare. He blinked a few times, focusing his attention to his twin who was now looking in your direction after realizing what his brother was looking at. Fred shot you an apologetic smile, suddenly feeling guilty that he interrupted your moment. You returned with a tight-lipped smile, excusing yourself from your table to walk out of the Great Hall.

Your footsteps were the only thing that George heard, despite the loud chatter of students from all around him. All he could focus on was you. Without another thought, he chased after you, the weight of his mistakes and regrets on his shoulder. He ignored everyone's stares as he shoved past everyone in his way, muttering half-hearted apologies. George looked to his left, seeing you walking further and further away.

He ran towards you, grabbing your arm to stop you from going any further. His voice cracked as he whispered your name, "Y/N."

When you faced him, tears already formed in your eyes. Hearing him say your name still caused your heart to beat faster in your chest, as if he wasn't the same person to cause it to break into a million pieces. You studied his face, seeing the brown and beige freckles that dusted his cheeks, the same ones you used to kiss every night. "What do you want George?"

"I-" he began, letting go of you. He rubbed the back of his neck, growing flustered in your presence. "I-uh... I-"

You sighed, offering a sad smile to the boy who still held your heart in his palms, "Goodnight, George."

George stood there watching you walk away, unable to say anything else but a heartbreaking, "I'm sorry!"

You froze in your spot, turning your body to look at him. "What?"

"I'm so sorry for everything." He saw you stop and he immediately scrambled and ran to you. He stopped right in front of you, eyes pleading for forgiveness. "I'm sorry, the last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt you."

"I know." You wiped a single tear that rolled down your cheek, chuckling sadly. "For whatever it's worth, I love you. Ain't that the worst thing you've ever heard?"

This time, when you walked away, he let you, knowing that it's better off for him to let you go. You deserved better than him, you always have. George looked down at his feet, swallowing the sobs that formed in his throat, and made his way back to the Great Hall, the memories of the now cruel summers you spent together, plaguing his mind.