Tell me that you love me (James Potter) pt. 2

"Y/N/N, let me in!"

You lifted your head from your pillow to speak into the distance separating your bed from your door, "Go away, Pads! I'm staying in."

"You said that last weekend... and the weekend before that," you heard Sirius groan from the hallway. He continued to bang against the wooden door, rattling the metal components of it, "We miss you, Y/N/N! Come out to Hogsmeade with us!"

"No, I want to stay in," you yelled, falling back into the solace of your bed, "Sirius, please just go without me. I'm sure my less than happy attitude would kill the mood anyway."

"I'd rather have the mood be killed than not have my friend with me."

You smiled a bit at his words. Sirius always did know how to cheer you up. A part of you wanted to give in and spend the day with your friends. You did miss them terribly, as you've done nothing short of avoiding them for the last month. You even went so far as to switching out of the classes that you had with them. You were surprised you got permission to do so, but you had to thank your long-standing and pleasant relationships with your professors for that.

As you opened your mouth to agree to Sirius' offer, you began to remember who else would be there— James. A month in isolation was not enough time to mend a broken heart. So you sunk back in your bed, pulling the covers up to cover your chest, and squeezed your eyes shut.

You heard Sirius sigh, disappointingly, before his footsteps echoed down the corridors. You were relieved he gave up, at least for the day. You didn't know if James had told them about that night, you didn't really allow yourself to be in the same space as any of the Marauders for enough time to have a conversation beyond "hi's" and "hello's." Sirius was tired of it, as was Peter and Remus, but Sirius took it personally. You two have built a good friendship over the years and he didn't know what it was that caused you to pull away from them so rapidly and so out of the blue.

He had a hunch. He figured it had something to do with James, as the boy flinched every time someone was to mention your name. Not to mention the way James had changed drastically, more subdued and mellowed out ever since the night of the party. He hasn't chased after Lily since, and it puzzled a lot of people, Sirius especially. He had to hear about James' incessant pining for years and all of a sudden, Lily seemed to cease to exist? Something wasn't right.

Sirius talked about it to Remus and Peter but the two boys were just as lost as he was. Nobody knew what happened that night between you and James. And although they all had their theories, most of them being absurd, James never talked about it to anyone, nor did you. So your friends were left in the dark, wondering and guessing what on earth transpired.

It wasn't until an hour after Sirius' supposed departure did you hear a knock on your door again. You groaned, not wanting to have this conversation twice in the same day. You sat up, "Go away, Sirius!"

Another knock.

"Padfoot," you warned, "Go away, please!"

He seemed to ignore your rebuttals, continuing to pound harshly on your door. You closed your eyes, pushing two pillows against both of your ears to try to drown out the noise, forgetting for a second that you were a witch with the knowledge of a simple spell to do the trick. When you realized that the pillows weren't working, nor did he show any signs of stopping, you got up from your bed and marched angrily to your door.

You swung it open, looking down at your feet. You huffed, "Sirius, I'm really not in the mood—"

It wasn't Sirius.

James' back was turned, evidence that he'd been pacing in front of your door after he heard your footsteps. When he heard the familiar creaking of your door opening, he turned around, an unexplainable look on his face. His eyes were brimmed red, like he'd been crying. His curls were tossed around, not neatly styled the way he always did them. James wore pajama pants and a fluffy sweater. It was unfair, really, how good he still looked even when he quite literally just rolled out of bed.