I Knew (Fred Weasley)

Y/N and Fred see each other after 7 years and she finally lets him know that she knew that he cheated on her with Angelina all those years ago. (fred lives au lol)

"i knew it was too good to be true."

"was in love with you. was."

WARNINGS: infidelity, angst

"Why did you leave?"

You froze in your spot when you heard those words come out of Fred's lips. The party behind the two of you was still in full swing— a party where his sister and her groom were celebrating their undying love for one another; Unbeknownst to them, just a few feet away, was the dying breath of another love.

You turned to face the man you'd fallen in love with all those years ago. You thought about the years you've wasted pining after Fred Weasley, dreaming of him like he was the one who put the stars in the sky. He was your safety blanket, one to cover you with a sense of comfort and belonging in a way that nobody was ever able to. He clouded your judgement until you didn't know right from wrong anymore, and yet, not once did he take advantage of his hold on you— because he's a good man.

And you hated it.

You hated how even though he was the same man who made you doubt in the power of love; even though he was the man who haunted you in your darkest hours; even though he was the man who laid beside a woman who wasn't you, tangled in the white sheets while he was supposed to be devoted to you; you still knew he was a good man.

"You don't get to ask me questions," you breathed out, shutting your eyes tightly. You couldn't look him in the eye, not while his eyes are flaming with anger and suffering.

"The hell I don't!" he exclaimed, stomping over to you. His tone was harsh, but even that couldn't mask the quivering of his words. "Why did you leave me?"

You finally opened your eyes, after feeling his breath tickling your skin, "You left me first, Fred."

His eyebrows furrowed, genuine confusion evident in his features. Fred gulped, blinking a few times, not expecting that answer, "What are you on about?"

"Angelina Johnson."

And just like that, Fred felt his knees grow weak.

His face paled, all color draining from his once red cheeks. He knows exactly what you were talking about. But he wished he didn't.

"Y/N," he began, his voice turning into a broken whisper, "I-I can explain."

"No need," you dismissed, staring at your feet. You kicked around the grass, sending small pebbles to ripple across the garden. "It's been years, Fred. It doesn't matter anymore."

"Obviously, it does," he insisted, stepping closer to you. He couldn't help but shed a tear when you took a step back.

You shyly looked at your fingers, unable to look at him in the eyes once more. It has been seven years since you found him sleeping soundly beside Angelina Johnson, right before the war. You confessed your feelings for him a few hours before that night, even going so far as kissing him under the moonlight before you went off to fight in the battle of Hogwarts the next day. You didn't speak to him the entire time and you left without another word once the war was over.

"Can we talk about this?"

"No, Fred," you hissed, not even bothering to wipe the tears that were falling from your eyes, "Do you know how many times I've cried while we were still at Hogwarts because people would whisper about how bloody pathetic I am for being madly in love with you? You daft git! I would've done anything for you, Fred. Everyone but you could see that."