Enchanted (Weasley Twins)

PROMPT: George is in love with Y/N. She's in love with Fred. 

George knew he loved you.

He didn't know when or how he fell for you, all he knew was that you had him wrapped around your finger. He tried to keep his feelings at bay, knowing that if he spoke up it would ruin your friendship. You were best friends with him and Fred, inseparable since your first year. He was enchanted the minute he met you and he made it his mission to make sure you're always okay. It came as a shock to Molly when she sent off the twins for their first year and they came back as triplets by the summertime. She, of course, accepted you as one of her own, which is why George never said anything about how he felt. He couldn't lose the most precious friendship he had.

That and you were hopelessly in love with Fred.

George saw it in the way you looked at his twin because it's exactly how he looked at you. He'd watch as you stared at Fred longingly, with love pouring out of your eyes. He watched as your heart broke into pieces as Fred asked Angelina to the Yule Ball. Or when he shamelessly flirts with girls from Hufflepuff right in front of you. Or when he took out girls on dates to Hogsmeade. George had to sit back and watch as the girl he loved fell deeper in love with his twin brother.

He couldn't blame you. All his life George felt second to his brother. Fred was always the first of the twins that people would mention when talking about them. It's always "Fred and George," not "George and Fred." George learned how to become okay with it as time passed, but the one thing he could never stomach was how you seemed to apply that same thinking with them as well. To you, it was Fred first, George second.

It was the night before Bill and Fleur's wedding. You were helping put up decorations around the Burrow, hoping that your small contributions could help speed the process along. George was sitting on the couch, healing from his ear injury, waiting for someone to come in and keep him company. He smiled excitedly, motioning for you to sit next to him, as you skipped inside the Burrow, hair in disarray from helping everyone else outside. You obliged, plopping down beside him and snuggling into his side.

George tried to calm the rapid beating of his heart as the scent of your shampoo filled his senses. He rubbed his palm up and down your arm, placing a soft kiss to your head, "Tired, love?"

Without missing a beat, you nodded, humming in content at the warmth he gave off. He was always affectionate with you. You never questioned his actions, as you've grown used to it over the years that you've known him. You loved being held by George. It made you feel safe and protected.

"You can sleep here," he suggested, draping a blanket over your body, "I don't mind."

You sighed, "I might have to take you up on that offer, Georgie. Don't think I can make it up the stairs. Freddie worked me with setting up the tables and chairs today."

George didn't miss the way the tone of your voice changed when you mentioned Fred. He hoped that you couldn't hear the sound of his heart breaking as you laid on his chest. He gulped, trying to swallow down any feeling of jealousy and hurt that managed to make its way up his throat. Fred was his brother, his twin, for Merlin's sake! He shouldn't be feeling like this. George shook his head, trying to rid his mind of these stubborn thoughts. Before he could respond, he heard the sound of your soft snoring.

George smiled fondly, loving the way you adjusted your body to be closer to him. Your eyelid twitched, an indication that you were fast asleep. He made the mistake of trying to prank you once when he thought you were asleep and it backfired on him entirely. Since that night, he made it his mission to figure out what your tells were— and that eye twitch was a sure sign of your slumber.