Getting to Know Each Other

"So, are you from around here?" she asked me, gently kicking her feet back and forth in the water.

"No, I'm from L.A.."

"Oh, that's so cool! I've always wanted to go there, but I never seem to get the time."

"Yeah, it's great. What about you? You from around here?" She nodded, "Yep! Born and raised here in Orlando!"

"That's cool. My friend was also born and raised here. It's kinda the only reason I came tonight. He asked my other friend and me to come, so I pretty much got dragged here."

"You didn't want to come?"

"It's not that I didn't want to, because I haven't seen my friend in a while, but my parents and manager don't exactly like me going out to parties and ruining my image."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

I waved her off, "It's okay. I've gotten used to it."

Alyssa turned her head to the side, assessing me. I could tell that she wanted to say what she thought about that but was afraid she would offend me. She finally opened her mouth to speak, but before she did, I cut her off. "So why did you come?"

She blinked, obviously caught off guard from what she was about to say. She cleared her throat softly, "Oh, my brother asked me to come and help him out with some things. I guess I just ended up staying after we were done."

This instantly caught my attention, "Your brother?"

"Mmmhmm. This is my brother's house. This is his party."

Wait... what? Adam has a sister?! How come he never told me?!

I quickly turned towards her. "You're Adam's sister?!"

She turned her head again and nodded. Raising an eyebrow, she asked, "Yes. You know my brother?"

"Yeah! Your brother is my best friend! He's the one who invited me and our other friend!"

Her eyes widened, and she was taken aback by shock. Her voice came out as a stutter, "I-I never knew that Adam knew a celebrity!"

"He never told me he had a sister!" We both glanced at one another, still in complete shock...before bursting out laughing.

"That's so crazy!" She said, trying to suppress her continuous giggles.

"Yeah. I can't believe out of all the times I was over here, he never mentioned you, not once. And, I never even saw you!"

She turned back towards the water and nodded, "Yeah. I live back at home with our parents while he lives here."

"Ok, yeah, that definitely makes sense. I've never been to his parents' house before."

She giggled again, turning back towards me, "I seriously can't believe my brother never told me about you."

"I can. Adam has always kept his friendship with me a secret so people won't pester me, or him, about it."

"That sounds like him. Though he does love this lavish, in the limelight style, he loves his privacy just as much."

"That's true. He's always tried to be a private person in his own way."

We were both staring at the pool at this point, still trying to process the coincidence we just discovered. I actually took the moment to sneak a glance at her. I was trying to get a really good look at her, just to see if she looked like Adam at all. And I noticed that the more I looked, the more she looked like him.

They shared the same light chestnut hair and a few facial features. Their eye shapes looked very similar and so did their cheekbone structure. The only main difference about their faces was that Alyssa had rounder lips and big blue eyes while Adam had thin ones and brown eyes. She also had freckles dotting all along her nose and under her eyes. She was definitely shorter than Adam by at least a foot. But I guess that's usually how it is, the older brother is taller than the little sister. Wait...was she older than Adam?

"So, are you younger or older than Adam?"

"Younger. We're a year apart, so he's seventeen and I'm sixteen."

"Oh, okay, gotcha."

She's definitely different than Adam, though. He's a little more wild and sociable, while she seems much quieter and reserved. She's incredibly polite and kind, not wanting to seem like a nuisance. He's much more likely to jump into any conversation and add his own opinion without caring what others thought.

I won't lie, it's kinda refreshing hanging out with someone this quiet and gentle. Most of the people I usually hang around are like Adam and Dex, crazy but slightly tame. Definitely not soft-spoken and careful.

I looked back over at her. The water was lighting up her eyes, making them shine even more. I really don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I feel like shouldn't be talking to her because of Adam, but, on the other, it feels so nice. She seems so easy to talk to and get along with. I always promised myself that I wouldn't feel this way about anyone since her, but... I like this. I'm comfortable with this. I honestly haven't been this comfortable around a girl in a long time.

A small sigh caught my attention and I realized that I was staring. I quickly averted my eyes before she could catch me looking. She then began to speak again, "It feels perfect tonight."

"Yeah, it does."

"The weather's been pretty bad lately, so this is a nice change."

"We don't get much rain out in California, but I can only imagine. Adam's told me plenty of stories about the weather down here."

"It can get rough, but you get used to it after some time."

"Same with earthquakes."

Her eyes met mine, "I guess we both have our own weather peculiarities, huh?" "I guess so."

She smiled softly at me. Why is my heart pumping like this? Why do I feel all sweaty all of a sudden? Why am I so nervous?

I could vaguely see a small blush beginning to coat her cheeks, but she spun her head in the other direction to avoid me from seeing it. I could feel my own face heating up, so I did the same. I was just about to turn back around and ask her something else before we both heard her name being called. She looked at me sheepishly and pushed herself to stand, "I... better go see what that's about. But...thank you for the conversation, and the picture."

I smiled small, "It's no trouble. Thank you for the company."

I saw her blush beginning to return, but she smiled back and said, "Of course. Maybe I'll see you around sometime?"

"Yeah, hopefully."

Her eyes sparkled and her smile widened, "Great! I'll see you later!" she waved and began walking off. I waved after her and called back, "See you."

Even after she left, the small smile didn't leave my face. I felt so insanely happy, and I don't know why. But... I really don't care. I got to meet someone so sweet and kind without any real motives. And what makes it even better is that she's a rich girl that's actually friendly and polite.

Now, I'm not saying that just because she's a rich girl she's great and perfect, I'm saying it because you don't meet many rich girls that are like her. They're all about being spoiled and served on, while she clearly isn't. And that, to me, is truly amazing.

I really hope I do get to see her again, I honestly don't know why, but I just do.