Are You Okay?

After the whole argument with Connor and things went back to normal, I slipped away from Dex and Adam to find Alyssa. I wanted to make sure she was alright after everything.

I searched throughout Adam's house and found nothing, so I headed back outside to the pool and began my hunt there. I looked everywhere, the spot where we were sitting earlier on in the night was empty, so I went and checked around the snack table, only to find that she was not there either. I was starting to give up, but then I saw a familiar lone figure standing near the wood line at the back of the property. I quickly jogged over, hoping she wouldn't mind me stealing her time for a moment.

"Alyssa!"

Her head turned towards me and once she saw it was me, she turned her whole body so it was facing me. "Hey, Oliver," she said gently, "What are you doing out here?"

"I've been looking for you. Why are you all the way out here?"

"Oh. I was just taking a walk, trying to find a way away from everyone."

She's still embarrassed about Connor, I can tell. "Right. Do you mind if I walk with you?"

I watched as her eyes lit up for a second, the thought of having company seeming to delight her. But as soon as the happiness was there, it faded and she went back to her reserved state.

"No, I don't mind," she said, shaking her head. I nodded and we began to walk side by side next to the tree line.

We walked in silence for about five minutes before I reluctantly sighed and broke the quiet. "Look, I'm not gonna beat around the bush here, are you okay?"

She looked over at me, slightly shocked at my question. She immediately regained her composure and answered, "Yes. I'm alright. The whole thing just... took me by surprise, is all."

I could tell she was lying. "Don't lie to me. I can tell it's bothering you."

She stopped walking and met my gaze. After a moment, she gave a dry laugh and shook her head, "I guess I can't hide anything from you, huh? A person I just met."

I shook my head humorously and declared, "Nope! I've been known to be one of the best lie detectors out there!"

She giggled at my little antic and I grinned in her direction, "There's a smile. Now, seriously tell me, are you really okay?"

She released a small sigh, "Honestly, I'm okay, just embarrassed and upset by it all."

"Yeah, I figured that."

"It just frustrates me so much! I've told Connor multiple times that I don't like him anymore and he won't get the hint!"

I quirked an eyebrow up when she said that, "Any more? You used to like him?"

A sheepish blush dusted her face, and she nodded, "Yeah, I used to. But once he showed his true colors, that feeling faded pretty fast."

"Ah. Let me guess, he pulled this stunt at another one of your brother's parties?"

"Hm, got it in one. Though, he was actually invited to that one."

"That's a shock."

"Yeah. He and Adam used to talk and be friendly, but after the incident at that party, he did his best to cut all ties with him. Obviously, I don't think that turned out well."

I let out a light chuckle, "Yeah, definitely not."

Another silence fell over us as we continued on our way. The noise from the party rang on in the background, but it didn't bother us. Walking like this, in the semi-quiet under the stars, was comfortable. It made me feel peaceful. In the life I live now, it's all chaos. I never get to have a single quiet moment to myself like this. It's always hustle and bustle, performing in one city and moving on to the next. It's nice to enjoy something as simple as a walk under the stars.

A soft sigh brought me out of my thoughts and I turned toward Alyssa.

"We should probably head back. Wouldn't want Adam to come looking."

"Yeah, that's a conversation I would not like to have."

She cracked a smile, "Thank you for coming to check on me. I appreciate it."

"It's no problem. Adam's my friend, so that makes you my friend, and I'll do anything for my friends."

Her smile widened and her eyes grew, "We're friends now?"

"Absolutely! In fact, here's my number in case you ever need something or if you ever just want to talk!"

I held my hand out for her phone, and she quickly forked it over. I gave the phone back and handed her mine so she could do the same. She passed the phone back to me and said, "I promise I'll call if I need anything, as long as you promise to as well."

My mouth quirked up in a small smile, and I stuck my hand back out, "Deal."

She took my hand and shook it twice before she let go and began to walk back towards the house. I followed along with a happy look plastered across my face and not a care in the world. I really think that Dex was right.

It was a good idea to come to this party.