Chapter 2

*A few weeks later…*

“I met a girl.”

The text startled Mae as she typed case notes in her office. She glanced down and unlocked her iPhone to see Kip’s excited little words in the screen. She smiled to herself and shook her head waiting to text him back until she was done.

“What about me? Are you breaking up with me, Kipper?”

“I have a friend for you actually. I don’t know why but I think you and Opie would get along.”

“Whose name is actually Opie? No thanks, I’ll pass.”

Locking her screen, she began loading up her laptop and work for the weekend. It was hilarious that he’d actually try and set her up with one of those guys, maybe he knew her type in men better than she thought.

I want you to meet Cherry though. We’re having a big ass party tonight, a bunch of other charters are coming down. Please come?”

“HA! No. I’m busy tonight, sorry.”

Mae rolled her eyes at the idea, gathered her things and locked the door on the way out. The more she thought about it though the more intrigued she was by the whole culture. As she loaded up her car Mae gave in to the nagging interest and texted Kip back.

“Fine, I’ll come. Should I wear my spiked dog collar to fit in?”

“Only if you want to be treated like one.”

---

“Do you want to me take the kids to my place?” Lyla was lingering around the clubhouse as Jax and Opie tried to unwind and catch up on less club related topics.

He nodded as he brought his beer bottle to his lips. “Yeah, that would be great. You don’t mind?”

“No. I like to help you, Ope.”

He hesitated, knowing the tone and the look she was giving him, but he had no other options.

“Will I see you after?”

“I don’t know.” Opie shot Jax a look but instead of rescuing him, Jax just watched with a grin. “You know what, I’ll have Gem or Neeta watch the kids. I don’t want to put you out.”

It wasn’t babysitting that put Lyla out but Opie’s uncertainty and refusal to really give her what she wanted in a relationship. They hung out and she helped with the kids but he wasn’t giving her anything and it was growing tiresome.

“Ope,” she put her hands on her hips. “Can we talk?”

He walked into the kitchen with her on his heels. “What’s up?”

“What’s going on? I need to know where we stand.”

“In the kitchen.” He said questioningly but she didn’t crack a smile. “Lyla, I’m not…ready. I don’t want anything. I like hanging out with you but that’s it, at least for now.”

“So what, I’m the nanny?”

“That’s why I don’t want you watching my kids. It ain’t fair.”

“Fine.”

Lyla stormed off and Jax entered the kitchen chuckling. “You’re good at that whole pissing chicks off thing.”

“Tell me about it.”  

“So what’s the real reason?”

Opie lifted himself to sit on the counter. “She’s a fucking porn star; I can’t get past that shit. She doesn’t really get me and I can’t help but think how much Donna would hate her around the kids.”