Chapter 13

"You really want to fight this?"

"Fresh off suspension for what you did to Juice and this is how you start? You're playing with fire."

"Ope," Mae gave him a look and nodded. "We've got nothing to hide, right?"

"The lady is right," Hale grinned. "If you've got nothing to hide just let me conduct the search and we can all be on our way."

Mae and Opie handed Hale their licenses. "It's my old address, officer. I'm getting my new license this week, I just moved a few weeks ago."

"That is actually a misdemeanor, Miss Callahan, but I can let it slide." He handed hers back then Opie's without even looking his over. He'd seen it plenty of times before. "Am I going to find anything?" He pointed to Opie's bike.

"Nothing interesting. I got some riding glasses, hat and other minor shit in there."

Hale nodded and opened the left bag first, it was empty save for a Harley magazine and a coating of tobacco. When he searched in the right side he chuckled excitedly and Mae stepped back with her hands up before Opie even saw what it was.

"I didn't take you for the needle type, that seems more like Trager." Hale stepped aside and Opie got a clear view of what had the deputy chief so excited. Right there in plain view was a baggie of what looked to be heroin and some pills.

"That shit ain't ours." He said quickly. "Check it for prints or whatever the fuck you do."

Mae watched, terrified, as Hale called for backup and Opie was told to put his hands on his head. "You're both under arrest."

"Her?" Opie snapped and pulled his hands from his head. "It's my bike, I should be the one being arrested not her."

"But you claimed it wasn't yours." Hale turned to Mae. "Is it yours?"

"No," she said emphatically. "It's not either of ours."

"Well, I'll have to take you both in until we can figure this out huh? Ma'am have a seat on the curb, Opie put your hands behind your back."

"Blow me." Opie barked.

"Not my department." Hale said as his hand rested on the butt of his gun. "Now, hands behind your back. Don't make this any harder."

"Opie," Mae whispered. "Cooperate, please."

"She's a smart one." Hale smirked as his backup finally arrived. "I wonder why she's hanging out with you."

--

"Jude?" Opie asked as the deputy headed out of lockup leaving them alone. "Could he have done this?"

Mae looked at the ground and nodded. "As soon as I heard it was anonymous tip I knew it was him, I have no doubt." Wiping the tears from her cheeks Mae looked up at him with doleful eyes. "I am so sorry, Ope. I didn't mean for this to go so far, I didn't mean for any of this to happen. Looks like I'm nothing but trouble."

As furious as he was, Opie didn't blame Mae, he blamed the drug dealer stalking her. Pulling his heavy leather jacket off, but keeping his cut, he draped it over her shoulders. "This ain't on you. Maybe, if you did rat, I could blame you but you didn't. He's gonna get his, I guarantee that."

"Why don't I just tell Hale?" She suggested. "Maybe he could help me get a restraining order or even lock him up again for what he's doing."

Opie smiled at her and, taking her hand in his and running his thumb along he knuckles, he shook his head. "Guys like Jude don't respond to that shit and you don't have any actual proof that he's the one doing it. Hale needs concrete shit, we don't have that."

Even if they had irrefutable evidence Opie wouldn't go to the cops. Jude had been following them and there was questions about how much he had seen. Clay wasn't thrilled, he absolutely furious, but it wasn't the worst situation, he wasn't a federal like they had to deal with when Tara came home.

"So I guess you'll have to," before she could finish Hale strutted down toward them.

"Who was the tip from?" Opie asked with a humorously authoritative tone considering his current predicament.

"You know I can't tell you that." Hale unlocked the cell and motioned for Mae to step out. "Miss Callahan I have a few questions for you."

She looked back at Opie, terrified, and followed Hale back up to his office.

--

"I don't know how it got there." She said staunchly. "We went for a ride, stopped to watch the sunset and wee were on our way back to his place when you pulled us over. We don't do that."

"You have a possession arrest," he pushed her record across the desk. "Never charged but it's still there for law enforcement to see."

Mae snatched up the paper, her eyes growing wider as she reread the words over and over. "I was a kid, this was years ago and I was never charged. You can't seriously think that stuff was ours."

"I don't know what to think." He took the paper back. "I'd never think a woman like you, or Tara for that matter, would be with those guys."

"Tara?" Mae's face scrunched up. "Oh, Dr. Knowles. Well lucky for you relationships like ours aren't part of you job."

There was a knock at the door and Eglee appeared as Hale called for her to enter. "Chief is looking for you."

"Okay." He stood and pointed to Mae. "Take her back to her cell please."

"Wait," Mae called out. "What if I told you I think I know who put it there and called you?"

"I'd be very interested to hear your story, after I speak with Chief Unser." Hale turned back to Eglee. "Take her back."

--

Part one of the arrest... hehehe I'm so glad you're all enjoying this! Xo