Back Home

"You still looking at that letter?"

Giulia walks in Luca's bedroom, smiling warmly as she watched him reading Alberto's last letter for the fifth time.

Luca, sitting on his bed, looks up at her, blushing with embarrassment. "Sorry, heheh. I'm just so excited to see him again! This school year went by so fast, can you believe it?"

Giulia laughed, "No, not really! Even when class is going so slow, it seems like we always manage to catch back up to summer again. It's amazing."

She plops down beside him. "I know I'd been asking this a lot since the day you first arrived, but how did you like school? And be honest."

Luca smiles. "Well, we had our ups and downs. But even with all the people around us that didn't accept me, it was still fun being here. I had you and Alberto by my side. And the nice people here. I think I'd definitely come back to school with you again."

Giulia gasps with excitement, then she laughs while hugging him tightly. "YES! Thank you, Luca!"

Luca's smile fades. "What's up?" She frowns at him.

Sighing, Luca replies, "I'd just...hate to leave Alberto again. Sometimes- actually, almost all the time, I wonder what he could be up to right now. If he's alright, if he's lonely...if he already forgot about me..." He slumps down, resting his chin in his hands.

He suddenly gasps, jumping up as Giulia slaps him with a pillow. "Luca, don't you do that again, being all sappy! I hate seeing you like this, you know. I bet Al would too!"

"I'm sorry, Giulia!" Luca turns away from her. "I just feel bad leaving him, I wish he could've come with us so we could all continue our adventures together! The group isn't the same without him! What if he's not the same person anymore? What if he couldn't take us leaving and instead ran away or something?"

Giulia frowns at him again. "Oooor, what if after two seconds you get off the train, he surprise jumps you from behind, yelling 'LUCA, LUCA! YOU'RE BACK! I MISSED YOU, DUDE!' while crushing you to death with his hugs?"

Luca stared at her. "Why...does that sound exactly like something he would do?"

Giulia replied, "Because he probably would."

—The Next Day—

After packing their bags and finding a place to put them, Luca and Giulia settle in their chosen seats on the train.

"Woah, this is really happening..." Luca mutters.

Giulia turns to him, nudging his arm. "Hey, it's gonna be ok, Luca! Just think about how happy Alberto will be to see you! Think about all the crazy adventures we could go on! We don't just have to be the Underdogs when we're in a race, we're the Underdogs wherever we go. Even when we're far apart. We can do this."

Luca smiles, nodding his head. "Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Giulia. I guess I'm just a little anxious, that's all."

"Why don't you read over Al's letter again, maybe you'll feel better?" Giulia suggests.

Luca nods again, "Yeah, ok." Once he opened his bag and took out the letter, he unfolded it and read over it again.

Alberto's letter:

Hey, Luca! I read your letter, and it looks like you're having tons of fun over at school with Giulia. I'm glad to know that you're happy and feeling comfortable. And I'm proud of you for making more friends and staying true to yourself. I hope you've been ignoring that dumb voice, Bruno, like I told you. He only tries to fill your head with negative thoughts, but don't let him, ya hear? I know how scary it can be to meet new people, and what people would think of you. But even if I'm not there with you, I'll still always have your back. You're my best friend, and I care about you. If anything happened to you, you can talk to me, and I'll find whoever hurt you and throw them into a pit of crabs, hehe. And hey, don't have too much fun there without me. Because once you and Giulia come back, I've got something AWESOME to show you guys. Ok, I'm gonna go for now, Machiavelli won't stop shedding all over my paper (piccola merda pelosa). Can't wait to see you, Luca! -Alberto

P.s, uh, don't tell Massimo I said "piccola merda pelosa". After overhearing him calling the cat that, I repeated that to someone (not understanding what it meant) and definitely learned my lesson after that. But I also learned what it meant, it means "hairy little shit". Don't repeat that...Massimo would kill me :')

Luca laughed at that last part every time. He loved receiving letters from Al, he always wrote something in them that'd make Luca crack up. Giulia was right, it did help him feel better.

Luca didn't know what it was, but it seemed that every time he had a chance to talk with Alberto, his heart raced a thousand miles per hour, and his day instantly became better. He was always overly excited to talk to him, it warmed his heart whenever Al comforted him in his letters. They always helped him more than anything. But he'd rather see Alberto in person again, and he couldn't wait to.

***

As the train made its stop to their home, Luca and Giulia quickly grabbed their stuff and hurried out, nearly tripping on their feet a few times on their way to the door.

As the door opened, they could smell the fresh air of their dearly missed home again. Old memories flooded through their heads as they stepped off the train, and back into the familiar sight. But Luca wasted no time. He anxiously looked around to see if Alberto was there waiting for him. But he could see no one but other people reuniting with their friends and family again.

"You see Al anywhere?" Giulia asked him.

After looking again, Luca shakes his head, feeling sad. "No..."

—-
That was the first chapter, yo >:D hope u liked it. I decided to go ahead and start writing this fanfic, because I couldn't wait any longer. I have some ideas already and I think they're gonna be really good for this story. I wanna try writing more often so I won't leave this book in the dirt. If you see any mistakes I made that you'd like to point out, just tell me. You can also tell me any ideas you have for me to write for this story, I'm open to any ideas. Ok, see ya in the next chap.

Also just an fyi I don't know Italian, I just used google translate to write 'hairy little shit' in Italian to make it funnier 😭 sorry if that upset anyone in any way, although I don't see how that could upset people but maybe I'm just dumb-

Also- not me listening to 'Self Control' by Dallask over and over again while editing this chapter 👁👄👁 (seriously u should listen to it, it's so good)