Safe...but for how long?

"HEY! Quit it!"

Alberto snickered as he tried grabbing Luca's arms. "Only fair if I do it back to you!" Luca chuckled as he sat on top of Al, throwing rocks at him. The rest of the rocks began glowing luminously, coating the walls of the cave with lovingly warm colors. But the boys hadn't noticed, as they were playing.

Alberto lightly shoved him and sat up. He hugged Luca tightly to prevent him from moving his arms. "Not fair!" Luca giggled. "What? I'm just giving you a hug!" Alberto laughed hysterically. He laughed even more as Luca tried squirming himself free, but couldn't do it. After several attempts and failing every time, he gave up.

Catching his breath, Luca asked him, "Jeez, why are you so strong?"

Alberto rolled his eyes, snickering, "Um, because I'm better than you. Duh."

"Yeah, sure!" Luca laughed loudly. Then they both went quiet once they noticed how close they were to each other. Their noses almost touched, making a slight blush appear across Luca's face. He felt a little awkward like this, but at the same time...he felt safe.

'Wait, why do I actually like being held like this?' Luca thought, as he gazed at Alberto's wondrous face. They couldn't stop staring at each other, at the other's beauty, and magnificence. Alberto couldn't help but blush too, both of their hearts were beating fast, and they didn't understand why.

'His eyes...' Luca thought in his mind, 'They're so...beautiful, so magical, like...stars. So pretty, and green...like sea glass.'

As his eyes were locked into Alberto's emeralds, Luca could see himself roaming in an empty space, floating like a feather. But everything was green- even the stars and the clouds surrounding him. He could feel the warmth of his friend, his magnificent scent. Even if he smelt terrible, Luca didn't care. He missed it, he missed him. Thinking about him, his green eyes, the grass, they reminded him of summer.

'Summer...' Luca thought. 'I missed it so much...especially him. Without him, summer would seem pointless...school would seem pointless. But it's so hard to leave, whenever I'm with him...'

'I wish summer would last forever.'

Suddenly, Luca's train of thought was interrupted as he felt a tale tangle with his. He looked down at his and Alberto's wrapped tails, and then back at Alberto, mouth open in surprise.

"You know I love you...right, Luca?" Al spoke softly as he smiled down at the smaller boy.

Luca froze as his cheeks heated up, heart now pounding faster than ever. And he knew Alberto was fully aware of it. But Al just gazed at him lovingly, making Luca's heart beat faster like a ticking time-bomb, ready to explode at any moment. But he couldn't think of a way to respond, what to say. But Al didn't seem to care.

"I'll always protect you," Alberto whispered as he leaned his forehead against Luca's. "I promise...I'll do anything to make sure you're safe. Even if it means dying for you...mi amore."

Frowning, Luca hesitated for a second before touching Al's cheek. "Alberto..."

"I love you, Luca." Wrapping his arms around his waist, Al pulls Luca into a tight hug, never wanting to let go.

Bewildered and speechless, Luca just hugs back, without even thinking about it. He looked back into his best friend's eyes as he held his neck. They once again locked eyes for a while, but they both knew what the other wanted to do.

Fighting back tears, Luca quietly replied, "I love you too..."

Closing his eyes, Alberto moves in for a kiss. He inches his face closer to Luca's, who closed his eyes as well.