Another Underdog

(long chapter, I'm sorry 👁💧👄💧👁)

"Please, Alberto?" Luca pleaded, pulling on Al's shirt.

"Nooo, Luca!" Alberto replied in an annoyed tone as he tried pulling Luca off of him.

"They're just drawings!" Luca whined, pouting. "Besides, you don't have to show me all of them, just the ones you don't mind me seeing!"

Alberto held his head back and sighed frustratingly. "Why are you JUST now asking about them?"

"Because I forgot until today that you draw!" Luca argued. "You used to mail me some of your art all the time! Can't I see your new ones?"

Alberto rolled his eyes, "I haven't even drawn that much before you came back. They're just crappy sketches, it's nothing special. Trust me, you'll get bored EASILY."

Luca shook his head. "No I won't. I like looking at your art work! You're so talented, Al! The only drawings that are special are the ones that are drawn by you!"

Hearing those words made Alberto's heart do a flip. After thinking about it, he groaned, patting Luca's hair, "Uuuugh, fine..."

"YES!" Luca punched his fists into the air, nearly hitting Al.

Alberto walked over to his and Giulia's desk and pulled out a drawer, digging through it. He took out the drawings he didn't mind Luca seeing and left the rest of them in the drawer, locking it.

Noticing this, Luca looked up at Al with a curious expression. "Wow, they're that private, aren't they?"

"Shut. Up." Alberto squinted his eyes at him as he set the stack of drawings on the desk. Luca stood beside him and started looking through them, excited. Alberto watched as Luca stared at his sketches in awe.

"I like this one!" Luca held one up to show Al. It was a drawing of Luke looking at a bee.

Al just shrugged, looking down. "Luca, it's not even colored..."

Luca frowned at him, "I don't care! It still looks amazing! Some drawings don't even need to be colored to look good! You just won't admit that you did great!"

Alberto rolled his eyes, ignoring him. But he was right though, that was one of Al's favorites, too.

As he continued looking through more sketches, Luca said to him, "I don't get it...you used to be so confident about your drawings, you always loved talking about them! And now you're acting completely different! Why don't you like 'em anymore?"

Al was quiet, until he replied, "I, I do like some of them. I just think they could be better...everyone else that draws can do it way better than me. But that's because I don't even do it very often..."

"But, as long as you're having fun, it doesn't matter if they look good or not," Luca replied. "I sometimes like to draw stuff from space, I'm not any better, but I still enjoy doing it. But, you could always redraw your work, you know. If you think you should do better, then keep practicing. Ask for some tips from other artists, take classes, or whatever you wanna do! If you're very passionate about it, this could be something you could keep doing, maybe as a career."

Al scratched his chin, "Eh, it's not really a passion, it's more of a hobby. You made some good points, but I just don't think I'm as a good as other people. I like drawing, but ever since I started seeing art from other creators...I dunno, I just started to feel like, I should be at their level too. Even if I don't care for drawing that much."

Luca looked at the sketch in his hands again, "Well...when I was in school, a teacher explained to us that everyone has a different imagination when it comes to creating something. We all have our own styles, and it's not really about if they're good or bad, because everyone prefers different things. If you like dogs and creating things, then maybe you like making some type of creation inspired by them. But not everyone that sees it would have an interest in it, because not everyone is interested in dogs. What I'm trying to say is...you can't please everyone. If you don't have the same interests as some people and don't care to do the same stuff they do, then what's the point in trying to impress them? You'd just be draining yourself of energy and motivation if all you'd do is try to please everyone. It's not worth it, really."