Quick Sneak-Out

Once Luca and Giulia had unpacked their things and had gotten settled in, Massimo had come back from shopping and fixed the three of them dinner. Luca's parents and Grandma even came over to eat with them, and to catch up on everything they'd missed. Everyone talked and laughed as they enjoyed their food.

After that was out of the way, it was just the kids and Massimo at home, getting ready for bed. Giulia groaned as she, Luca, and Al walked in her room and noticed one of the nearly grown kittens trying to claw the covers on her bed. She picked it up and gave Alberto a stern look.

"I thought you said they didn't damage the house?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

Alberto raised his hands up in defense. "Hey, cats will be cats. Besides, you left your door open! And we can't find a good scratching post for them to use...Also, uh, I think he likes you, heheh."

The kitten purred in Giulia's arms. Giulia quickly shook her head as she held it away from her, "No, I can't keep him! It's just, I don't wanna put too much on my Ma's plate than she already has. We're giving these cats away soon, right?"

Al shrugged, "I mean, I guess we could tomorrow. Massimo was talking about doing it soon anyway. But...you might regret it." He smirked.

Giulia frowned, "No, we need to give these cats a home. I won't feel bad about it, as long as I know that they're staying somewhere safe and functional. It's better this way, don't make me change my mind."

"M-kay then," Alberto grinned. Once Giulia left the room to go put the cat with the other kittens, Luca and Al climbed into their hideout in the tree and started setting up their spots to sleep in. After they and Guilia had said goodnight, she closed her window and it was just Luca and Alberto.

They laid down next to eachother and looked up at the night sky. Luca noticed how bright and pretty the moon was and got Alberto's attention.

"Alberto! Look at the moon! Isn't it beautiful?" He pointed to it.

Al smiled, chuckling a little. "Yes, it is. And so are the fish up there."

Luca looked at him, "You still call them fish?"

"Yeah," Al replied. "I know they're really just stars, but...I still like to see them as fish. I think it looks prettier like that."

Luca smiled at him. "That's ok! Sorry I tried to tell you before that they were stars, you can look at...those little specs in the sky however you see them! And, even I like to see them as fish most times, they do look prettier, you're right about that. And...looking at them always reminded me of you."

They both blushed a little, but didn't look at each other. "Heh...So, what other space stuff did you learn while you were at school?" Al asked him. He heard Luca scoff, "C'mon, Al. I know you don't care about that kinda stuff, you'd fall asleep listening to me talk about it! What about you? What have you been doing lately? Didn't you mention that you had something cool to show me and Giulia?"

Alberto's smile grew bigger, "Oh yeah, that! I don't wanna spoil it before I show you, though. And I also found some old junk we could maybe use to build stuff again, like we used to. But only if you want!"

Luca laughed as he turned over to him, "Are you kidding? Of COURSE I want to! I still like building stuff, and I missed doing that with you. I miss building dangerous stuff to ride off that cliff, and then rebuilding our ride all over again! That was so much fun, I'd love to do that again."

Then he stopped smiling once a thought came to him. "Wait...you don't go to the island anymore, do you?"

Alberto replied, "Well, I did from time to time. But that was only so I could get any stuff I needed to build things. The tower is pretty empty now, there's nothing really left there. But I don't mind us going back there again! It'd be cool to relive those memories with you."

Luca smiled at the thought of it. "Yeah...that would be nice." Alberto turned to the other side and buried himself in the covers. "Anyway, we should go to sleep so we'll have enough energy to go crazy tomorrow. Goodnight, Luca."

"Goodnight, Alberto," Luca curled up into the covers and turned his back to him.

Luca couldn't stop smiling, though. He was just so happy to be with Alberto in person again, he never felt a feeling this strong before. He guessed it was because he missed Al that much, or was just home-sick at times. But he didn't care to think about it, he was just glad to see him again.

***

Luca opened his eyes and found himself in the ocean. He couldn't move or say anything, he could only stare ahead of him. He was confused as to how he got there, but then he saw two figures swimming to each other. They were both sea monsters, but he could only see their shadows. The closer he looked at them, the more he started to notice that they looked a lot like him and Alberto.

Luca watched as they both hugged and then started to dance together and spin around each other. As he saw this, he started to feel this warm sensation inside, his heart raced faster as he watched himself dancing with Alberto. He felt this sense of comfort, like he was safe, like he could watch this forever and ever.

He could suddenly feel himself fading away as he heard a voice calling his name. He opened his eyes, jerking awake. He found himself staring at Alberto, who was sitting up beside him, staring back. Al smiled, "Hey, Luca."

Luca blinked, "Alberto...?" He rubbed his eyes and sat up too. "W...what time is it?"

Scratching his head nervously, Alberto replied, "Uh...well, it's not morning yet...but I couldn't wait any longer. I wanna show you the surprise, now."

Luca frowned, "But, shouldn't we sleep first?"

Al let out a small laugh, "We'll be quick, don't worry. No one will know we were gone, it'll only be for a few minutes!"

"What about Giulia?" said Luca.

"The surprise is underwater, around the area your family lives in, actually. She wouldn't be able to swim all the way over there with us, but I do know how we can show it to her. I'd have to explain it once we get there, though," Alberto told him. "Now are we going, or no?"

Luca smiled as he thought about the dream he just had. It was like a movie playing in his head, and it made him feel warmly happy inside. If he was being honest, he didn't care if it was day, or night. He'd still spend time with Al, any chance he got.

He looked at Alberto, "Ok. You seem really excited to show me what the surprise is, so I wanna see it, too."

Al's face lit up with joy. "Eccezionale (awesome)! Let's go, then!" He took Luca's arm and they hopped out of the hideout, opening the door outside and quietly shutting it behind them before running off. They ran through the street laughing and giggling to each other.

"We gotta keep it down so no one will hear us!" Luca whisper-laughed to Alberto, who was running ahead of him, snickering. They reached the edge of the sidewalk, with the water just a few inches below them.

Luca tensed up as Alberto took his hand in his, locking eyes with him. "Wanna run and jump in?"

Luca blushed as he felt the touch of his hand, but quickly avoided his gaze, nodding. "Yeah, let's do it!"

They both backed away from the edge, and once they were at a far enough distance, they started sprinting towards the water. Still holding hands, they took a big jump off the edge, and landed in the water, creating a huge splash.

As they turned into their sea-forms, they hollered with joy and then took off.