41

AN: this is a double update, please make sure you've read chapter 40 first

I looked at Khalil, wanting to answer but not having enough breath to form words just yet.

"I mean, why were you with Roman Richardson? Don't you know? He's... his brother is the guy from the accident!" Khalil exclaimed, causing me to narrow my eyebrows.

"No one told me. I thought that's what you were trying to tell me." I finally said, taking deep breaths between words.

"No, Lilly, I thought you knew," Khalil let go of my back, rubbing his forehead. "And why are you still with Jesse? You need to leave him."

"You know I can't, Khalil," I said, though even as I said the words, I realized I was unaware of how much Khalil knew. He was someone that was around us frequently, but not someone I ever cared to think about. In truth, maybe he didn't know. But if that was the case, why did he want me to break up with Jesse?

"What? Why not?" Khalil asked me, confirming my suspicions.

"Because I can't," I muttered, the sinking feeling of having to tell more lies erupting in my stomach.

"Lilly, it doesn't matter. You need to break up with him. Like, now, right now. He's not a good guy, you can't stay with him," Khalil looked at me, and he surprised me by reaching out and wiping the tears I didn't know had fallen from my eyes.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him, "you two were friends. Khalil, I don't understand. What is this all about?"

"You have to know by now, Lilly. I told you to read the article," Khalil told me, causing me to groan in frustration.

"No, Jesse took it. He took it Khalil and I couldn't read it!" I raised my voice at him, wondering what the hell was going on.

"Wait," Khalil moved his hand away from my face, which I had barely realized had been lingering on my skin. "Jesse saw it? Does he know that I gave it to you?"

"What? I don't know," I said, watching as Khalil's face paled as if the thought of Jesse knowing scared him. "Khalil, just tell me what's going on."

"I can't, Lilly, I wish I could. I wish so badly that I could." Khalil stood to his feet, running his hands through his hair.

"No," I whispered, looking up and him and watching as he paced. "No! I'm sick of this. Everyone is lying to me! No one is telling me the truth. Everyone is playing with me. I can't do this anymore. I can't do it," I told him, the tears streaming down my face and I wasn't sure how they kept coming. How was I able to produce any more tears? Shouldn't I be dried up by now?

I jumped to my feet, following Khalil as if he was a puddle of water in the desert that I needed desperately to survive.

"Khalil, you need to tell me. Tell me what's going on," my words were strained, coming out like I was losing my voice.

The panic was back, pumping through my veins like it belonged there. I could feel the dizziness start to form in my head, like the buzzing of a thousand bees in my ears. Khalil was looking at me with pity, his eyes darting around my face like what was shown on it was breaking his heart.

"What the hell is going on?" Jesse's voice entered my ears, causing the adrenaline in my blood to spike even further.

"Fuck," Khalil cursed, and I could tell by the look on his face that he wanted it to be anyone else besides Jesse.

"What is going on?" I looked only at Khalil, though I heard Jesse's footsteps coming closer. "Tell me, Khalil. I'm begging you."

"I can't," Khalil whispered to me, his eyes only remaining on me for a second. "I can't, Lilly, I'm so sorry."