Act II: Part 13

When I was typing the "act II part 13" part I was listening to don't stray ("don't stray from the path" song, very good I recommend her music) by Amanda Fagan and I wrote "act II path 13" instead lmao

Oh and I wasn't expecting to update today but its past 5 am now and that's how I got it done ig 😍😍

TW: PTSD, very minor injury

Previously...

"Good job, you're doing really well George," I praised softly, smiling encouragingly. His gaze lifted, wide brown eyes meeting my green. His breathing was steadying, near matching mine.

"Better?" I ask quietly, trying not to frighten him. He nods slowly, inhaling shakily. I let out a soft sigh of relief, smiling faintly.

"It's ok. I'm still really proud of you."

George's P.O.V.

I rubbed my eyes with shaky hands, breathing more or less steadily. Dream sat right in front of me, watching me worriedly. I hated to worry him, he had already done so much for me and this just felt like another burden for him to carry.

Part of me thinks that one day, Dream will grow tired of me. Maybe he already has. He probably hates that I'm like this, that I don't speak and that I need to be calmed down all the time. He's walking on eggshells around me, I just know it.

Despite this, I trust Dream. He's the one person I've been able to touch, the only person I'm comfortable in the presence of. I know he wouldn't hurt me. He promised.

And so, whether it was because I was exhausted or because I wanted it, I got closer, letting myself lay down in Dream's lap. He was warm, and his legs were a better pillow than the floor.

"George?" Dream whispered, hand hovering above me hesitantly. "Can I touch you?" I nodded sleepily, yawning and closing my eyes. I flinched slightly when his fingers started to run through my hair, but the touch was gentle and I found myself relaxing instead.

"I'm so proud of you," Dream murmured, slowly dragging his fingers through my messy hair. "You've come really far. You're getting better." His voice didn't raise the way it usually would when he got excited, but you could still hear the smile in his tone.

I yawned again, a soft squeak escaping my throat. I felt Dream pause for a moment, before continuing to run his fingers through my hair.

"I won't rush you. I know it takes time to heal. But I promise you, I'll be here for you every step of the way. I love you, George." Every piece of me feels like lead, the exhaustion luring me to sleep. Dream hummed softly in the background, calmly petting my hair. The world slowly faded away into nothing as reality rendered me unconscious.

~

I awoke with a jolt, breathing heavily. Something had woken me up, something loud and close by. My eyes went to Dream, who groaned softly as he opened his eyes.

"...George?" He mumbled, rubbing his knuckles with a slight frown. I stared at him, tilting my head with confusion. "Sorry, I must've woken you up... my hand fell and hit the ground right near your head."

He looked guilty, and I could see that his hand looked a bit hurt from hitting the hardwood floor. I swallowed thickly, hesitantly taking his hand in mine and inspecting it. He had the smallest scrape, just above his first knuckle, and the skin around it was a paler color than the rest of his hand.

I glanced up at him, making eye contact for an entire two seconds before I looked back down at his hand with embarrassment.

"Hey. It's fine, it doesn't even hurt that much. Just surprised me a bit, that's all," Dream reassured. I nodded, letting go of his hand with a shaky sigh. "But thank you, George. That was very sweet of you." I smiled a bit, shrugging shyly.

"Anyways... how'd you sleep? Were you ok?" I thought for a moment about the question. Considering I had slept on the floor, using Dream's lap as a pillow, it was pretty good. Really good, actually. I had slept like a baby, no nightmares, no waking up, just sleeping peacefully.

"George?" He raised an eyebrow expectantly, frowning just slightly. I picked up my phone, typing quickly before sending him the message.

Gogy: I slept really well. I didn't have any nightmares like I usually do, thank you for letting me do that :3

As Dream read it, I watched as he started to grin, smiling brightly. When he looked back up from his phone, I leaned into him with a soft sigh. Dream felt safe. Dream felt like home.

"Of course, anytime. If you ever need me, I'm right down the hall, ok? You're always welcome," he offered, carefully placing a hand on my back. I tensed up at first, but I managed to relax under his touch with a soft sigh.

"I'm really, really proud of you. You've already come so far, and I can't even imagine how difficult it must be-" I felt my breath hitch, Dream pausing. He started to run slow circles into my back, changing the subject.

"Maybe we can have Wilbur over sometime soon. I'm sure he'd love to see you," he speculated, letting out a quiet him as he thought about it. "Would you like that? It's entirely up to you."

I sighed, shrugging. It's not that I didn't want to see Wilbur, but I don't want him to fly all the way across the world just to not be able to actually do anything. Not to mention I felt safer when it was just me and Dream here.

"No?" He doesn't sound confused or upset, which is nice. "If you don't want to that's perfectly fine, nobody's expecting you to do anything. So no pressure," he added, tone light and quiet. I smiled, letting out a breath I didn't know I had been holding. It's silent for a moment, before Dream speaks up again.

"Well... we should eat something, why don't we go downstairs?"

Mmm ok this was a good length chapter

I try to aim for 1k or more but also I just do whatever so :/