PROLOGUE

"ALICE!"

Alice Vincent turned at the sound of her name, and saw her ghost friend Maria drift towards her, across the London winds.

It was not unusual for Alice to see ghosts. She had spent her whole life with them in secret. It was her only secret. Not that she had not tried telling anyone. She had tried many times to tell her mother, but had always ended up being called a prankster.

Alice was seven years old when she had first seen Maria. Transparent, really pretty with her golden eyes and red hair, that was always tied in a beautiful bun. She dressed in a gown which seemed way out of fashion for the 2000s. Alice had been in the park with her mother Sophie. It had been just a brief meeting then, a vague memory.

Then, at the age of nine, she had seen her again. This time, outside her house. "Remember me?" Maria had asked.

"You do look familiar, but I am sorry I do not quite remember," Alice had replied.

"Alice darling, who are you talking to?" Her mother, Sophie Vincent had asked. She had hazel eyes and golden hair, both of which were passed on to Alice.

"Mama, her!" Alice had said pointing towards Maria, who was still drifting a few feet above the ground, smiling.

"Don't be silly Alice, surely this is no time for pranks!" Sophie had scolded.

"But mama..," Alice had begun to protest, but Maria had cut her off. 

"She will not see me." Maria had said, with an apologetic smile.

That was the first time Alice had realized she could see things no one else could see, not even her mother. The thought should've scared her but for some reason, it had not. Since then, Maria had been stuck with her like a shadow. Not that Alice minded. She never had any friends, and her parents were hardly home.

Alice's father Evan Vincent, was a 'successful businessman,' who often had to travel around the world for his work. Alice had always wondered what work did he possibly do, that kept him away from his family for weeks. Sometimes even months. Evan was a short-tempered man, with a hard jaw and set face, just like his daughter. Though unlike Alice, he had black eyes and brown hair.

"Papa, I will behave, but please take me with you!" pleaded six-year-old Alice, who had grown tired of seeing her father so less.

"Alice, when you grow old enough we will join him too, but for now you will stay with me here in London!" Sophie had said in a firm voice, that had meant no more arguments from her or her father. Evan had looked at Alice apologetically but had said nothing.

Since then, her father only visited twice a year, and her mother made herself busy in their local flower shop. Alice had suspected it was because of a shortage of money. However, as she grew older, she realized it was to divert Sophie's attention from worrying about her husband.

Before Maria had arrived, Alice had been on the edge of losing her mind. She had never been scared of her even then. Which was why when she had come to her bedroom that night, after their rather short meeting outside her house, she was kind of eager to meet her again.

"I am rather sorry your mother did not believe you," Maria had said, genuinely looking apologetic.

"It's alright, not like it's your fault." Alice had replied, trying to give her best smile. "So, what are you?" She had asked.

"What do you think?" Maria had replied, indicating herself with her hands.

Alice had eyed her thoughtfully, then finally said, "My friend!"

Maria had looked as if she could not believe what she was hearing. She had remained floating without saying a word for so long, that Alice had wondered if she had said something to offend her.