CHAPTER 7- TRUST

"KNAVE!" Alice shouted, cupping her hands around her mouth.

Knave appeared before her in a second. His eyes lit up the moment he saw her, his expression unreadable. Then very quickly, he changed his expression to an amused one.

 "Did you run away from your house in hope of marrying me?" Knave asked, a wide grin on his face.

"What?" Asked Alice, forgetting everything in her confusion.

With a hand, he indicated her dress. "You look like a poor bride!" He remarked.

Alice realized with a jolt, what a ridiculous thing she had done by running into the woods in the middle of the night, fully dressed in a beautiful gown, now muddy and torn, just to call out a ghost who seemed more than happy to live with only himself.

What was she doing? She had rushed out without thinking twice, but it was too late now and there was no turning back.

Alice eyed him. "You are seriously under a huge misconception! I am only dressed because it is my birthday." She informed.

Knave looked surprised. "And you decided to spend your birthday by running around in the woods late at night, calling out for handsome ghosts?" He paused. "Though I doubt there are any handsome ghosts, save me of course!" He added as an afterthought. Alice opened her mouth to answer, but he cut her off, "Actually, I should not be surprised. You seem to spend most of your time in the woods. I am only confused as to why I did not see you before!"

Alice took a deep breath. "Look, I came here because I think I might have a way to help you!"

Knave looked at her. "By bringing me some cake, perhaps?" He almost sounded hopeful.

Alice made an impatient sound. "No, but by getting you out of these woods!" She said, sounding more confident than she felt.

Alice had no idea what she was talking about, but for some reason, she had a crazy instinct telling her what to do. More than her instinct though, Alice had a feeling of rightness deep in her heart. It was what made her come all the way to Knave, leaving her friends in the middle of her birthday celebration. Alice trusted her heart more than anything else.

Knave seemed shocked. He remained standing, eyeing her as if he were afraid she would explode. Finally, he cleared his throat. "Miss Alice, I think you are in deep need of some sleep. I know you really enjoy my company, but that does not mean you should compromise your sleeping time! Surely we will meet again, and I.....,"

Alice cut him off, "For heaven's sake, Knave! For once, get over yourself!" She snapped. "And I am not sleepy! I mean what I said."

Knave looked at her, his expression serious. "How?" He demanded.

Alice was not quite sure about that. "I will need you to trust me! Can you do that?" She asked, a little hesitatingly.

Alice looked at him eagerly, desperate for an answer. She hoped that getting her dress torn by running in the woods, would pay off. If it did not, she would have ruined her lovely gown for no reason.

Very slowly, Knave nodded. Alice held out her hand. After a moment, Knave took it. His hands were warm against her cold ones. 

Heart pounding, Alice started to make her way out of the woods, with Knave right beside her.

Together, they reached the end of the woods. Alice could now see the road. Her house right across from it. All they had to do to leave the woods was to cross the road, which was empty of any cars or pedestrians. Grey in the night sky.

Alice steeled her nerves. She looked at Knave, who held her gaze, looking at her with full belief. Slowly, Alice started to make her way across, holding Knave's hand. As she did, she felt as if she were passing through an invisible wall, which was stopping her there. Alice closed her eyes and pushed through, forcing the wall to make way. Suddenly, everything blurred out.