CHAPTER 17- CHARITY

"Are you sure you're not some type of prince?" Asked Alice, as she eyed the huge silver gate of the mansion that loomed up in front of her.

Knave did not reply. His gaze was fixed on the mansion. He looked as if he were recalling something. Perhaps all the years he had spent growing up here?

"Who said I am not?" Knave finally said. He was smiling, but it seemed fake.

Alice cleared her throat. "So, shall we go inside now?" She asked.

"If Pete allows you then sure, why not?" Knave replied.

Alice shot him a confused look. "Who is Pete?" She asked.

As if on cue, a burly man with a moustache appeared. He looked about forty. "May I help you?" He asked in a deep voice. Judging by his blue formal uniform, Alice could tell that he was a guard.

She tried for a smile. "Yeah um, I... I was..." She struggled, desperately looking for an excuse.

In all her rush, Alice had forgotten to think about what she would say to Knave's parents, or guard for that matter, once she reached.

Alice imagined looking at his parents and saying, 'Hi I am Alice, the girl bound to your cursed son, who you forgot about!'

"Say you are here for collecting charity." Said Knave, breaking her thoughts.

"Absolutely not!" Shouted Alice, looking at him disbelievingly.

"Um sorry, Ma'am?" Said Pete, looking around, as if asking for help.

"Sorry, I was not talking to you," Alice said, looking apologetically at the poor guard, who was now beginning to look terrified.

"Well, you better say something before you scare the poor guy out of his wits." Knave suggested unhelpfully.

Alice braced herself. "I am here to collect charity!" She said, forcing a smile.

Knave looked as if he were struggling to hold his laugh. The guard looked at her up and down. No doubt taking in her expensive jeans and mauve batwing top. Alice made a mental note to request her ghost squad to 'buy' her clothes at a reasonable price.

"I need to talk with Madam first!" Announced Pete. Then, he bolted towards the gates with surprising speed, before Alice could say anything else.

She looked at Knave. "Now what, genius?"

"Now we wait for him to kick you out." Knave calmly replied.

"In what way do I look like someone in need of charity?" Alice demanded.

"You should've thought about that before you opened your mouth." He replied.

"I do not believe you!" Shouted Alice, looking at him accusingly.

"You can always enter in as a housemaid," He suggested.

"A housemaid with branded clothes?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugged. "You should've made plans before rushing out, don't you think?"

Alice shook her head in exasperation. She stared at the gates, deciding if she should just leave. She had lost her shot anyway.

Alice was about to tell Knave the same, when suddenly the gates opened, and Pete emerged again. He looked a little less terrified now. "Come in!" He shouted. 

Alice shot a confused look at Knave, but he just continued to make his way inside.

"What just happened?" Whispered Alice, as they entered the gate.