CHAPTER 18- FUN

"What do you think would happen if your brothers found out that you hugged me?" Asked Knave, staring at Alice, as she put the key in the lock of her house door.

Alice stopped and looked at him. He had regained himself and now looked like the mischievous boy he was. With that stupid smile of his.

'Do all ghosts have charming smiles?' Thought Alice. She shook her head. What the hell was she thinking?

"And just why would you tell them?" Alice demanded.

He gave a shrug. "For fun?" He replied thoughtfully. "Besides, we do not even have snacks anymore to please them." Knave said, jerking his chin towards her empty hands.

They had given the basket and bag to a homeless boy Andrew, who they had come across outside Knave's house. The bag had been filled with more dresses, what was it with mothers and dresses? And Knave had changed it according to the boy's thin frame. Alice was beginning to feel jealous of his ghostly powers.

Andrew had looked as if he could not believe his eyes. He had accepted it with a big smile on his face. Somehow, Alice felt happier than he did.

"It was worth it." Alice replied now.

Knave eyed her. "You do..," He broke off, licked his dry lips, and tried again. "You..," He seemed to have lost the ability to form a sentence.

Alice looked at him in surprise. "Tongue-tied for once!" She announced happily.

Knave ignored this. "You do not consider me weak, do you?" He asked.

Alice blinked. "Why would I?" She asked, suddenly very curious.

He cleared his throat. "Because of whatever happened outside my house?" He replied, very slowly.

'He means when he was crying!' Alice realized. She knew she had to pick her next answer really carefully. 

Alice knitted her eyebrows, and crossed her arms. "Did you just call me weak?" She demanded, trying her best to fake anger, looking at him fiercely.

Knave blinked several times. "What?" He asked, sounding puzzled.

"Because, I have cried so much that I have now lost count and I do not think that it has ever made me weak. In fact, it has always made me feel much stronger to face whatever life has in store for me next!" Alice replied, trying to sound as upbeat as she could.

Knave looked at her with a soft gaze. Then, he quickly changed his expression to an amused one. "You must be glad," He began, "Since that gave you an opportunity to hug me!" He was back with that annoying smirk. Alice chose to say nothing.

"But it would still be fun to see how your friends would react if they found out you hugged me." Knave mused, as Alice turned the key. She heard the lock open with a click and almost gave a small scream when the door flew open. Her heart caught in her mouth.

Floating by the threshold, was Charlie. His arms were crossed, and his mouth was set in a thin line. He looked at her with accusing eyes. "You hugged him?" He demanded, his tone rising.

Alice looked at Knave helplessly. He mouthed the word, 'Fun', then shouldered past Charlie, and entered the house.

"So, Knave's parents still do not remember him?" Asked Mike, sounding sad. He looked sympathetically at Knave, who looked unbothered by everything. He was standing by the window in her room, examining his nails.

Alice sat on her bed. Her ghost squad were sitting around her. It was at times like these, that she was reminded how cruel it was that they could do all the things humans did, except touch her.

"And what was it about the hugging?" Demanded Charlie.

Knave, who a minute ago had not given a damn about anything, now perked up. "Great question!" He shouted.

Alice did her best to calm herself. She was still choosing her answer, when thankfully, Maria answered on her behalf. "Oh come on, Charlie," She said. "She was obviously trying to just comfort Knave," Alice shot her a grateful look.

"I could've done that!" Shouted Charlie.

"You would?" Asked Alice, unable to hide her surprise.

Charlie shrugged. "If it meant keeping him away from you, then yes, I would!"

"I appreciate all my fans, but I just do not hug everyone!" Said Knave, as he came to sit next to Alice, eyeing Charlie as he did.

Charlie looked like an inflated balloon. "You.. you sit next to me!" He shouted.

"Your brother is already next to you." Knave pointed out calmly.

"Maria then!" Charlie suggested.

"That would block my view of the window." Knave replied flatly.

"Then stand up!" Charlie shouted.

"My legs are paining." Said Knave.

"Ghost's legs do not pain!" Charlie snapped.

"Mine does when I want it to." Replied Knave.

"Enough!" Shouted Alice. "You know what, I will get up!" She said, doing exactly that. Mike and Maria watched the whole show with exhaustion. Alice felt the same.

"Your loss!" Said Knave.

Alice ignored him. "Mother will be arriving soon enough," She began. "But this time I want all of you to remain here with me," She said, looking at the twins.

"Why, dear?" Asked Maria.

Alice took a deep breath. "Because there is something I want to do and I know you all would not allow me to do so alone, which is why you will all accompany me!" She said.

"Accompany you where and for what?" Asked Mike. Alice smiled. "I hate that smile of yours!" Said Mike, shaking his head.

Charlie nodded. "Yeah! That usually comes whenever you plan something suicidal." He said.

"I like suicidal!" Said Knave.

Alice looked at him. "Maybe because it makes no difference to you either way!" She pointed out.

Knave grinned. "Maybe?" He replied with a shrug.

"Alice, what are you planning?" Asked Maria worriedly.

"I have decided to test my powers!" Announced Alice.

"Are you out of your mind?" Demanded Mike, sounding panicked.

Alice looked at him. "Mike, this is what I am meant to do! I cannot just sit here my whole life, wondering what I am supposed to do with my ability to see ghosts." She said. "I have to go out there and learn, get answers, and maybe even help all those poor souls whom no one even knows exist. This is part of who I am and I have to embrace it!"

They all looked stunned, save Knave, who clapped his hands. "Brilliant convincing speech, Miss Alice," He began. "I give you full marks."

"You are making it quite hard for me to avoid smacking you!" Said Alice, gritting her teeth. She directed her attention to her ghost squad. "So, are you all coming?" She asked hopefully.

Mike gave a sigh of defeat. "You are going to do what you want at the end, so it is better to just come along and help you, rather than letting you go all alone, unprotected."

Charlie nodded. "You are one stubborn lady, but I do love adventure so..., count me in!" He said.

Maria smiled, looking weary. "Me too!" She said.

"I was in from the time I heard the word, suicidal." Said Knave.

Alice smiled. "It is settled then! We leave after my mother is asleep." She decided.

"Um, where exactly are we going?" Asked Charlie, unsurely.

Alice smiled wider. "The hospital, of course!"