CHAPTER 8- SHADOW

Alice was lying on her bed in deep sleep, when suddenly she heard a loud scream. Her eyes flew open. She got up and looked around worriedly. The moonlight cast shadows across her room. Through it, she could see Knave and Charlie, both asleep on the ground. It was evident that they had not heard anything.

Dismissing it as her imagination, Alice began to lie back, when she finally saw it. A dark shadow was looming in front of her, approaching her very slowly. She tried to call out, but it was as if her lips were sealed shut. Her legs and arms had also seemed to freeze.

With dread, Alice realized that she was frozen in place. She closed her eyes in fear, sweat beading her forehead. When she opened her eyes again, the shadow was no longer in front of her.

The fear in her heart seized a little, but it lasted only a second. Alice felt something cold next to her. Heart pounding, she glanced to her side, and to her horror, saw that the shadow was standing right next to her.

It was hard to see much of the shadow, but when a shadowy hand reached out to grab the locket on her neck, Alice thought she glanced at a woman's hand. Though she could not be quite sure, given her tremendous fear.

Alice tried to kick and thrash in protest, but her whole body felt heavy, making it impossible for her to move. She tried screaming. This time her lips opened, however no sound came out. It was as if she had lost her voice.

Alice felt the shadowy hand tug at her locket, but the accessory remained stuck in place. The shadow's hand suddenly felt hot. Alice sensed the shadow was now angry. It gave one last tug but the locket was stuck to Alice, just like her skin.

The shadow released the locket and grabbed Alice's neck, choking her until she could no longer breathe.

 Alice gave a silent cry, and suddenly the whole room was filled with a golden glow. The glow seemed to emanate from the locket.

With a hiss, the shadow lurched its hand back. Alice drew in quick breaths. The glow of the locket intensified, forcing her to close her eyes. As she does, she feels as if she is pulled down into darkness.

"Alice, wake up!" Shouted a desperate voice. Someone was holding her by the shoulders, shaking her.

With a start, Alice opened her eyes. The first thing she realized, was that Knave was the one holding her, and Charlie was the one who had shouted. They both were looking at her anxiously.

Despite the situation, Alice could not help but see the differences and similarities between the two ghosts. They were both handsome, well-built, muscled, and young. Yet, where Knave looked fully human, Charlie was just a mist which resembled a person he once used to be.

Alice slowly got up, Knave helping her as she did. "What happened?" He demanded.

"Yeah, you were thrashing in your sleep!" Added Charlie, sounding worried.

"Was I?" Alice asked, feeling confused. She knew she had a nightmare, that much she was sure of, but she hardly remembered what it had been.

'Something involving a shadow?' She thought in confusion.

Alice shook her head, clearing her thoughts. Her locket felt heavy and warm against her neck. "I just had a bad dream!" She said.

Charlie nodded, looking relieved. Knave opened his mouth to ask something, when suddenly Maria and Mike appeared.

Forgetting everything, Alice jumped out of bed. They both looked a little less angry, but they were still clearly not going to talk to her anytime soon. Ignoring her completely, they made their way towards Charlie, and the three of them fell into deep conversation.