CHAPTER 6- BIRTHDAY

"I see the meaning of 'rest' for you is quite different!" Said Mike, standing with his arms crossed, looking at Alice, who was sitting on her bed, with all her three ghost friends glowering at her. 

Even though Mike's voice had remained calm, Alice knew he was really angry and was somehow controlling his rage, which was only there because of his worry for her.

"Honestly, I am quite disappointed in you, Alice!" Said Charlie, with a serious face. Then, he smiled. "If you were planning to sneak out, you could have at least told me and I would've joined you. I do always love to sneak out, you know!" He finished.

"SHUT UP!" Mike and Maria shouted at the same time.

"Alice, do you want to explain why you decided to sneak out into the woods?" Asked Maria.

Her ghost squad hardly got angry with her. It was so rare, that Alice had forgotten the last time she had been in such a situation.

Alice took a deep breath. "I know you guys were worried, but I just wanted to have some fresh air alone. I had to lie because none of you were ready to leave me for even a minute. I am sorry!" She said, making a puppy face.

Mike immediately melted, and Maria gave a sigh. Charlie hit Mike lightly on the shoulder. "See, I told you your questions were making the poor girl sick!" He scolded.

Mike nodded. "I guess it was my fault. I am so sorry, Alice!"

Alice felt immense guilt. Mike had not done anything wrong and yet he was apologizing. "You do not need to apologize, Mike! I know you love me and just worry for me." She said.

Mike gave her a smile. Alice still did not know why she did not mention Knave. For reasons she was not sure of, she wanted him to be only her secret.

"I cannot believe you are going to be eighteen in just a few hours!" Announced Sophie happily, as she sipped water from her glass.

Alice smiled. "I cannot believe it either, mama."

They were in the kitchen having dinner, which was pasta Alice had made. Surprisingly, Sophie seemed to be in a really good mood. Alice could not help but wonder if it had something to do with the divorce papers, that her mother had signed earlier. Perhaps like Alice, her mother too felt relieved that it was all clear now. No more pretence.

"How quickly you have grown!" Mused Sophie.

Alice felt a little lonely. Usually, Maria always stayed with Alice until bedtime. This time however, her ghost squad had promised a surprise for her birthday, and Maria had also disappeared with the twins.

Sophie looked at her daughter and smiled. "Finally my dear, all our.....," Her mother broke off, as her eyes fell on Alice's locket. "Where did you get that?" She demanded.

Alice waved her hand. "Lisa gave it to me as an advance birthday gift!" She replied, trying to remain calm. Alice did not like lying to her mother. Though at times like these, she had to.

Lisa was a non-existent school friend Alice had created, to avoid alarming situations her ghost squad sometimes put her in.

Sophie nodded, though Alice saw the excitement and happiness which were present in her mother a few seconds ago, vanish. 

'Has she grown suspicious?' Alice thought worriedly.

They ate the rest of their meal in silence, as they always did.

After cleaning up, Alice finally came to her bedroom. She looked at the watch that hung on her wall. It was exactly eleven. One hour left for her birthday. She changed into her pyjamas which were her usual, cream colour cotton sleep shirt and shorts. She climbed onto her bed, waiting for her friends.