CHAPTER 23- TRUTH UNFOLDS

Cora stood before Alice in a long black coat, that reached all the way to her ankles. Her golden hair was tied in a braid. She wore a long pointy hat, which Alice had often seen in cartoons, and made fun of. Seeing her mother wear the hat now, she realized there was nothing funny about it. Instead, she found it terrifying. 

 Apart from the hideous outfit, the most sickening part that twisted Alice's guts, was her mother's malicious smile.

The sun was fully out now. The rays shining through Alice's window, made Cora's skin glow.

"Finally!" The witch began. "I get to stop pretending." She looked at Alice. "Do you have any idea how exhausting it is, to have to be your mother?" She demanded, crossing her arms.

Alice remained sitting on the floor, staring at her mother in shock, trying to still take in all that was happening.

"Mama, will you spend time with me? Mama, will you comb my hair?" Said Cora, trying to mimic Alice. "Gosh! How I have controlled myself from slapping you!"

"That sounds more like a dead telephone instead of Alice." Knave pointed out, in a flat voice. Only now did Alice realize, he had his arms wrapped around her.

Cora looked at him. "I really should've killed you that day." She said, sounding regretful.

"Too late!" Knave replied.

Cora gave him an evil smile. "Is it really?" Before Knave could answer, Cora said, "Worry not! I am not going to waste my time and energy on such petty things. Besides, in a few hours, Alice will not be able to see you. Actually, she will forget you!" Cora looked around. "All of you!"

This brought Alice back to her senses. She drew away from Knave and slowly stood up, facing her mother. It was as if her whole world had narrowed down to this moment, where only she and the woman she had once thought of as her mother, existed. Time seemed to move really slowly, making each minute painful and unbearable

"What are you talking about, Cora?" Demanded Alice, forcing the witch's name out of her mouth. She was shocked that her voice had come out loud and clear, despite the turmoil inside her.

Cora laughed. "Well look who has finally gotten a tongue!" She teased. "By the way, my name is Coraphina." She began. "Now you see where the Sophie comes in!" She added with a wink.

Alice felt sick. She had never imagined her mother could ever look so evil, the way she was looking now.

Cora put her fingers on her chin thoughtfully. "And to answer your question, I think after all the hell I am about to put you in the next few days, you deserve to know the unimportant details." She took a deep breath. "So, from where exactly do you want me to begin?" Asked the witch, looking at Alice irritatingly.

"The beginning!" Replied Alice.

"But that is way too long!" Complained the witch. She looked at Alice and pouted.

Alice did not take her eyes off her mother. The shock of learning her mother's truth was so intense, that she could not comprehend anything around her. She felt distant and cut off from everything and everyone.

Some part inside of her wanted to run to her mother and shake her, ask her if it were all a joke, and her mother would just change back, and life would go on as usual. But it was not a joke. Everything was real, as much as Maria's betrayal was real.

The two people whom Alice had trusted the most, had betrayed her. They had broken her trust in such a way, that Alice was not sure she would ever be able to trust anyone as much as she had trusted them.

"Okay, fine!" Said the witch, sounding resigned. "I guess you should be familiar with all my magnificent actions!" She said. "So dear, when a witch wants to prolong her life and remain powerful, perhaps even grow more powerful, she has to pay a cost." When Cora looked at her again, she had a glint in her eyes which made Alice's heart beat faster.