CHAPTER 4- A PROMISE IN THE DARK

Sophie was indeed waiting for Alice to return. When she did, she noticed that the table was laid out for her. A heavenly smell drifted from the kitchen, where they usually ate.

As Alice approached, she saw Sophie sitting on a chair, looking poised. Maria was drifting opposite her, looking anxious. If Alice didn't know better, she would've thought that they were both having a conversation. The twins were nowhere to be seen, which was not a surprise.

"Darling, what took you so long?" Asked Sophie, as Alice entered the kitchen.

'I was chased by a snake, and then saved by a ghost who can't get enough of himself!' Thought Alice. Instead, she said, "I lost track of time, sorry mama." Sophie nodded.

Alice shot a, 'Relax!' look to Maria, as she proceeded towards the sink to clean up.

The kitchen was the only other place Alice loved, after her bedroom. Mostly, because it was where coffee was kept. Like the other parts of the house, her mother had decorated it beautifully. The white tiles complimented the orange and yellow cabinets. The walls, also yellow, were decorated with beautiful paintings. There was a small vase set in the middle of the black eating table, which held fresh flowers every day. No doubt from their shop.

Alice took a seat next to her mother and saw that her plate was already filled. She nodded a thanks to her mother, before she finally began to eat.

Maria had now started pacing around. Alice really hoped she would sit down, but usually if she were worried, she would not. Alice wondered what was bothering her friend. She seemed eager to talk to Alice.

"Will you be here for my eighteenth birthday, mama?" Asked Alice, looking at her mother hopefully.

Sophie smiled. "Of course, my dear! After all, this birthday is so important." She replied. 

Alice blinked in confusion, but Sophie had returned her attention to her plate. Maria though, had gone really pale.

They ate the rest of their dinner in silence.

After helping Sophie clean up, Alice proceeded towards her bedroom. Maria followed her hurriedly, making Alice feel guilty. It was evident that Maria had been waiting for a long time to talk to her, and they had not gotten a chance.

The minute Alice closed the door behind her, Maria blurted out, "Alice darling, I have to give you something, I had meant to give it to you earlier but I did not have it with me at the time, but now I finally have it! You must take this quickly and.....,"

"Maria, calm down!" Alice said, cutting her off. Maria took a deep breath. The effort made her shimmer a little. "What did you want to give me?" Asked Alice.

Maria produced a small golden locket. Alice beamed. "Oh Maria, it is beautiful!" She exclaimed. Maria smiled. 

Alice put her palms out, and Maria dropped the locket into them. It felt warm and heavy in her hands.

As soon as Alice wore it around her neck, it gave a soft glow. She looked at Maria in astonishment. "Did you see that?" She asked, unable to believe her eyes.

Maria looked confused. "See what?"

Alice shook her head. She had clearly imagined it. She eyed Maria thoughtfully. "You do know that there is still one day left for my birthday, right?"

Maria laughed. "Of course! I just wanted to be the first one to give you a gift." Alice smiled. Maria suddenly grew serious. "Alice, no matter what happens, do not remove this locket. It is meant to protect you and it will!" She sounded as if she were assuring herself.

"It will protect me against what exactly?" Alice asked in puzzlement.

"Everything!" Maria replied, with a sad smile.

Alice wondered if she should tell Maria about Knave. She decided against it. There were still a lot of things she had to understand about him, before telling anyone. Besides, what would she say? 'Maria, I met a ghost who wears a tux in the woods, and who seems to think he is really handsome. Oh! And also, unlike other ghosts, I can actually touch him!'

Alice supposed Maria would freak out. Mike and Charlie would definitely murder Knave, ghost or not.

"ALICE!" Shouted Maria, breaking Alice from her thoughts. Maria put her hands on her hips. "Seriously Alice, what do you keep thinking about?" She demanded, sounding tired.

"I am really sorry Maria, what were you saying?" Asked Alice gently, hoping Maria would not ask anything further.

Thankfully, she did not. She just shook her head and said, "You should sleep now, it is already too late! Besides tomorrow....," Maria suddenly broke off, looking alarmed.

Alice knew what she had been trying to say. Tomorrow her father was going to send the divorce papers, officially ending everything. The thought was shattering Alice from the inside. She did not say that to Maria though.

 Instead, Alice braced herself and forced a smile. "Good night, Maria!" She managed to say.

Maria smiled back at her. After a minute she vanished, leaving Alice standing alone in her bedroom.

"Alice, I love you!" Said Evan, gazing down at his thirteen-year-old daughter.

"Then why don't you take me with you, Papa?" Asked Alice, for what was like the hundredth time.

Evan smiled, though it seemed fake. "My lovely, you are still too small!" His answer was the same as always.

Alice crossed her arms over her chest and turned away. "I wonder when I will ever grow big enough to accompany you!"

Evan held her by the shoulders, gently turning her to face him. "No matter how much you grow, for me you will always be my small little Alice. My daughter, who I love more than anyone in this whole world!" He said, putting a hand under his daughter's chin, making her look directly into his tired eyes.

Alice smiled and laid her hand on his cheek. "Papa, promise that you will never leave me!" She said.

Evan tensed, though only for a brief minute. "I will never leave you Alice, I promise!" He replied, kissing his daughter on the forehead.

Alice woke up, sweating and panting. She sat up on her bed. Her cheeks felt wet. She touched it, and realized she had been crying in her sleep. It was probably past midnight from what she could see, glancing outside her window.

Alice shook her head. She could still hear her father's words echoing in her ears.

'I will never leave you Alice, I promise!'

"Then why did you, Papa?" Alice whispered to herself. 

She shook her head again, trying to clear her mind. Was it a dream or a memory? If it were a memory, then she could not remember it ever happening. She decided it was the former.

One more tear rolled down her cheek, and Alice suddenly felt angry at herself. Why was she crying for a father who did not want her? She tried to stop, but could not seem to help it.

Making up her mind, Alice curled up on the bed and let her tears flow, allowing herself to cry one last time.

She remained like that for several minutes, before wiping her tears. "That is enough!" She reminded herself. "From now on Alice, you will never cry for your father again!"

Promising herself in the dark, Alice laid down on her bed, and soon drifted off. This time, she had no dream about her father.