CHAPTER 16- RESPONSIBILITY

Alice awoke with the sun in her eyes. She sat up and checked the time. It was exactly six.

Maria was sleeping next to her. Her red hair was fanned out around the pillow, making her look more beautiful. She seemed so real, that Alice thought she could reach out and touch her. She shook away her thoughts, which she knew would lead her to nowhere.

As Alice looked around, stretching, her eyes caught on Knave. He was standing by the window with his arms crossed, gazing out.

Alice got up and went to stand next to him. As she grew closer, she saw his face look pained. She cleared her throat. Knave straightened up, but did not turn to look at her. His expression was unreadable.

"When did you get up?" Alice asked.

"I could not sleep after your stunt last night." He replied in a flat voice.

"Are you missing your parents, Knave?" Asked Alice, getting right to it.

Now he did turn to look at her. He opened his mouth, then closed it again. As if he couldn't decide what to say. Alice loved the fact that she had caught him off guard.

Finally, Knave asked, "How did you know?"

Alice smiled. "Who wouldn't?"

He gave a small nod in response. Alice felt glad that at least this time, he did not hide his feelings behind the shield of sarcasm.

"Do you want to go visit them?" Alice asked.

Knave looked astounded. "You would do that for me?" He asked, sounding surprised.

Alice shrugged. "Well, after I messed up things for us, I think I owe you this much!" She replied.

Knave sighed. "I am sorry for how I first reacted, it was not your fault! You were just trying to help me." He said.

Alice nodded. "But I did mess up, and I cannot deny that." Knave said nothing. She looked at him. "So, what say?"

Knave smiled. It was a real smile. The smile he so rarely gave. The smile that melted her heart. "When do we leave?" He asked.

Alice smirked. "Now!"

"You know, your friends, especially your two killer brothers, would not exactly be happy when they find out that you are gone somewhere alone with me." Knave pointed out, as they walked a little distance away from her house.

Alice had made sure not to wear a dress, in case they had to climb hills again. Whom was she fooling? The reason she had worn jeans was because she loved them.

Alice smiled. "Do not worry! I have left behind a letter, in which I have explained why I needed to go! I am sure they will not be angry once they read it." She assured.

Knave turned to look at her. "Oh really? Miss Alice, what exactly have you written that you are so confident about?" He demanded.

Alice shrugged. "Just that I woke up, only to find you crying by the window sill, and...,"

"You did not just do that!" Shouted Knave. He almost sounded panicked.

"Well, it is the truth, isn't it?" Alice pointed out calmly.

"Of course not!" He shouted.

"Oh dear! Were you not crying?" She asked, faking surprise.

Knave eyed her for a long time. Finally, he chuckled. "Quit teasing!" He said.

Alice smiled. "Well, I hardly get a chance to!" She replied. "Rest assured though, I wrote nothing of that sort. Trust me!" She said.

Knave looked at her with serious eyes. "I do!" He replied with certainty.

Alice was a little surprised by his seriousness. It took a moment for her to speak again. "Well in that case, do what you must!" She said, just as they reached the road.

Knave smiled. "Right! Help you cross the road again." He mused.

Alice put her hands on her hips. "No!" She snapped. Knave gave her a puzzled look. She gave a sigh. "I am in no mood to walk to wherever your house is, and I see no reason to waste money on a cab, when we have your ghostly powers." She pointed out.

Knave raised an eyebrow. "I thought that you did not want me to use my teleporting skills on you ever again!" He reminded.

"That time I was unprepared. This time, I know better!" She said, trying to keep her voice firm.

Knave let out a breath. "As the lady wishes then!" He said.

As he came forward and wrapped his arms around her, Alice looked around. Apart from a few cars on the road, there were no pedestrians. At least not so early in the morning.

"And for the record," Alice began. Knave had his eyes closed. He opened them now, peering down at her. She was just an inch shorter than him, she realized, as he stood close to her. "I know how to cross a road!" She whispered.

Knave chuckled, and she felt it against her chest. He closed his eyes again, and Alice grabbed on tightly, as the world tilted around her.

My dearest ghost squad,

I know that for the past few days things are not exactly how they used to be between us. First,. I broke your trust, and now I have left without informing anyone. Believe me, I did not want to, but I am only doing what you all have taught me. Taking responsibility for the actions you do, and trying to rectify the mistake you have made.

I have made a mistake, even if it was unknowingly done, and there is only so much I can do to fix it. Helping Knave meet his family will be the first step to correct it, and it might also help reduce my guilt a little. I am hoping, no, I believe you all will understand me. I love you!

Your crazy little sister,

Alice.

Maria read the letter again for the third time now. The twins were still arguing behind her, debating whether or not to go after Alice.

Maria was happy. Where Alice was going could help her. Which meant, she had to stop the twins from going after her. That was not hard.

"Guys!" Maria shouted, turning around. "If we go after her now, it will be stupidity! I am proud of Alice, that she did not let our teachings go in vain. I believe she has done the right thing, and we should support her!" She said.

"I think you are right, Maria!" Agreed Mike.

"Yes," Charlie began, "But my only worry is that she is gone with that Knave who...," but Maria had ceased hearing them. She was thinking about what she had to do next.

As Maria was bound to do, she had to pass the information to her owner, who Maria hated more than she hated anyone in the world. Maria had to tell where Alice had gone, no matter how much she dreaded the idea.