CHAPTER 9- GIFT

"Not to be unoptimistic or anything, but what if your parents still do not remember you?" Asked Alice, a little hesitatingly.

Knave, who was eyeing the toasted bread in his hands thoughtfully, shrugged. "I have backup!" was all he said in response, before shoving the whole slice in his mouth, gulping it in a second.

Alice gaped at him. Mike and Charlie were looking at him as if he had snatched the bread from their mouths. Maria seemed to look amused.

Ghosts never usually ate much. Knave though, was an exception. He ate his breakfast as if he had been hungry for ages, which Alice supposed he had.

They were all sitting in the kitchen. Alice was in her usual seat facing Knave, who was seated opposite her. Her ghost squad fanned out on either side of her, like protective bodyguards. Alice felt a sting of admiration. Oh, how she loved them!

Alice had to admit, she had been quite disappointed when she had realized that her mother had not even left her usual note as she usually did on her birthdays. It was also rather unexpected, since Sophie had seemed more excited for her eighteenth birthday, than perhaps Alice was herself. It seemed hard to digest the fact that her mother had most probably forgotten all about her special day.

It was only when Knave clicked his fingers in front of her face, that Alice realized he had been talking to her. She blinked. "Huh?"

Knave raised his eyebrows. It seemed to make his features look even more pronounced. "Lost in my good looks?" He asked.

"I swear, if this guy rants about his damn self one more time, I am going to make sure he disappears for good!" Said Charlie, baring his teeth.

Alice stared at him, feeling stunned. She had never seen this side of Charlie before. He had always been a not-so-serious-about-anything type of guy, ever since she had met him.

It felt like everything was beginning to change. Alice feared that she might have made a terrible mistake by helping Knave. Yet, how can helping someone be bad?

"Charlie, calm down!" It was Mike, putting a hand on his brother's shoulder.

Knave seemed unbothered by everything around him. He continued eating his breakfast as though no one had spoken. Alice was taken by an uncontrollable urge, to shove his head into his plate. She would have, if only she were not interrupted by her mother, who suddenly entered the kitchen.

"Mother?" Said Alice. She could not keep the surprise out of her voice. Her mother was hardly home at this time. Perhaps Sophie had not forgotten about her daughter's birthday after all.

As Sophie came closer, Alice noticed that her mother looked as if she had not slept the entire night. Her hair was messy, her eyes were red, her shoulders weary.

Sophie seemed to look at Knave and freeze. For a split second of alarm, Alice thought she could see him. "Why is your plate set so far away from you, Alice?" Asked her mother, looking puzzled.

Alice let out a sigh of relief. Then felt guilty for feeling relieved. She could not shake the feeling that she was somehow betraying her mother.

"And why are there two plates filled? Alice darling, what are you doing?" Her mother asked, sounding really drained out.

Alice cleared her throat. "Um, I was... I actually thought of trying something new for breakfast today. I mean it is my birthday, and I thought you had left for the shop, and I was feeling really lonely so.., I just did whatever I could to get rid of my loneliness!" Alice replied. She did not dare look at her friends, whom she knew were as surprised as she was. When had she become such an expert liar?

Sophie smiled sadly. This only made the guilt inside Alice worsen. "I am so sorry my love, I could not manage to wish you earlier." Said Sophie. Then, she brightened up. "But I got you something that will make it all even!"

Alice perked up. "A gift?" She asked excitedly. She could not remember the last time her mother had given her one.

Sophie extended her arm, indicating Alice to come close. When she did, her mother gently took her wrist. With the hand that was not holding hers, Sophie produced a small black bracelet.

Wow, three pieces of accessories on one birthday!' Thought Alice.

Not that she was not grateful. After everything that had happened, Alice was glad that this birthday had turned out to be a little better than all her previous ones.

"Did Lisa gift you this bracelet too?" Asked Sophie, eyeing the silver bracelet Knave had given her.

Alice had forgotten she was still wearing it. Not trusting herself to speak, she gave a small nod, silently scolding herself for being so stupid. If only she had taken it off, she would not have had to tell another lie, and her guilt would not have begun to claw at her heart, making her feel suffocated.

With a smile, Sophie clasped the black bracelet on her daughter's wrist. It settled beautifully atop the silver bracelet. She gently let go of Alice's hand, looking at her affectionately. "I better leave for the shop, darling! I am already too late today. I promise I will be back before dinner!" She said. Then, she kissed Alice on her temple and turned to leave.

The minute Sophie was gone, Charlie said, "Dude, are you okay? You look like you are going to puke, which makes sense considering the way you were eating!" He paused. "Mind you, do not mess the kitchen!" He warned.

Alice had forgotten her friends were with her. She turned around to see Charlie talking to Knave who.., Alice sucked in a breath, seeing his expression. His face was as if someone had plunged a dagger into his heart. He did look, well, as if he were going to puke.

"Knave, are you.., are you okay?" Asked Alice, getting concerned.

Knave looked at her, his blue eyes wide. He swallowed. "thaytifunmihe?" He blurted out.

"The hell?" Said Mike, looking at Knave unsurely.

"My expert knowledge says that he is having some sort of an attack!" Charlie began. "I just cannot seem to remember the name." He added, scratching his temples. "Now, was it called epilepsy?" He mused.

Alice went closer to Knave and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Knave?"

Knave blinked, then looked around, as if seeing the place for the first time. "What happened?" He demanded.

"I think, that is exactly what we are asking you!" Replied Alice, who was now really worried. 'What if Charlie is right, and Knave is having an attack?' She thought in panic.

Knave shook his head, as if clearing his thoughts. "Now that I am through with breakfast, I should get going!" He began. "Thank you for everything, Miss Alice!" He added with a huge smile, as if nothing odd had happened. He looked at the twins. "And thank you all too! Though for what, I am not sure." He gave a wink and vanished, before anyone could say anything further.

They stood a while in silence, when finally Charlie asked, "Um guys, where is Maria?" 

Alice looked around, and realized Charlie was right. Maria had disappeared at some point, and none of them had even noticed.