CHAPTER 15- ONE STEP CLOSER

"What are you thinking about, Maria?" Asked Alice, watching Maria as she gazed out through the window, at the night sky.

The twins had disappeared, leaving Maria to sleep with Alice and Knave, who was already in deep sleep on the mattress.

"Just about how unpredictable life can be!" Maria began. She seemed to be staring at the moon. A white ball lit up brightly against the black consuming sky. "One minute you think you are finally in control, and the next thing you know, you are tumbling into endless loopholes again!" Maria continued in a soft voice.

Alice came to stand next to her. "Is your still family alive, Maria?" She asked, testing her luck.

Alice supposed she had done something she had never tried before. She had finally asked Maria about her past. Alice had been trying to control herself from asking, however this time she could not.

Over the past few days, Maria had been more withdrawn than usual, and Alice could not help but wonder if it had something to do with her friend's past. 

Alice decided that it was high time to have a few things cleared between her and Maria.

Surprisingly, Maria answered. "Just a little sister! My parents died when I was really small." She replied in a toneless voice.

"How old is your sister?" Asked Alice. She wanted to ask more. Where is she now? When was the last time you saw her? Instead, she held herself back.

 For the first time, Maria had decided to speak about her past, and Alice knew better than to push her luck.

"She was about your age when I had died," Maria replied in a flat voice. Her face, turned towards the window, was expressionless. She gave a dry laugh. "And that was eleven years ago. My sister is now older than me!" Her voice rose a little high.

Maria turned to face Alice. A small smile tugged at her lips. "She is just like you!" She exclaimed. "Sometimes, I feel as though I am living with you what I missed out with her!" She said, gazing at her with affection.

Alice smiled at her. "I am glad you are with me!" She replied, then immediately realized how selfish it sounded, and regretted it. Maria did not seem to notice. She continued looking at her lovingly.

"Is that why you stayed with me?" Alice asked, quickly changing the topic. "Because I remind you of your sister?"

Maria turned away at that, her smile fading. She returned her gaze back to the window. "Sometimes Alice, you cannot understand exactly what you should do! In the conflict between your heart and mind, your soul suffers and yet, you have to let everything play out when it is for the sake of your own blood!" She said.

Alice remained silent, trying to make sense of whatever Maria was going on about. 'Own blood?' Alice thought in puzzlement.

Giving up wrecking her brain thinking, Alice asked, "How did you die?"

Maria turned to answer her. Her mouth opened, and then she suddenly vanished. Alice looked around frantically. "Maria?" She called out. She turned towards Knave, and to her horror, found the mattress empty. "Where did you guys go?" She shouted. "KNAVE! MARIA!" Dread was rising in her stomach. Her insides felt as if they were melting. Unwillingly, she started to cry.

"Alice?" She felt someone holding her shoulders, shaking her. "Are you okay?" It was Knave's voice, but where was he?

Alice wiped her tears, and then suddenly Knave was there, standing right in front of her, looking at her worriedly. Maria hovered behind him, staring at her with wide eyes.

"What happened?" Asked Knave.

Alice did not answer. Instead, she grabbed him in a fierce hug, holding him tightly, as if he would vanish again. She would not let him though. 

"Where did you go?" Alice demanded. Her voice, muffled against his chest.

Knave was gently patting her back. "I was right here!" He replied gently.

Alice broke the hug. She looked at him, shaking her head. "No! I... I saw you... you were both gone!" She said, in a shaky voice.

Knave looked at her, puzzled. "I was right here sleeping, when I suddenly hear you calling out my name like a mad Juliet!" He said.

This was enough for Alice to regain her composure. She drew away from him, and raised her chin. "I also called out for Maria!" She pointed out.

"Now, did you?" Knave asked.

"I did!" She protested.

"Hmmm, did not!" He argued.

"Did!" She said savagely.

"Did not." He replied calmly.

"Did!" She said again.

"Did not!" He said, grinning.

"Did not!" She blurted out.

Knave smiled smugly. "Exactly! That is what I am saying." He said, crossing his arms.

Alice gritted her teeth. "You... you cheater!" She shouted, no doubt sounding like a four-year-old.

"Quit it, both of you!" Said Maria in a stern voice. "You two are not elementary kids!" She scolded. She turned towards Alice. "We were both right here, dear!" She assured.

"Maria, can you tell me exactly what had happened?" Asked Alice.

Maria nodded. "We were talking and you blinked, and then you suddenly started looking for us." She paused. Looking at Knave, she added, "Shouting both of our names!" Knave gave a thumbs up.

"I... I don't know!" Began Alice. "It was like I had lost the ability to see you for some horrifying and terrible seconds, and then I could see you again!" She looked at both of them. "Am I going crazy?" She asked.

Knave shook his head violently. He held her shoulders, and looked at Alice with serious eyes. "You are not crazy!" He said. His voice was so gentle, that Alice was taken a little aback. Even Maria was looking at him with surprise. "Do you know how I am so sure about that?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"How?" Alice asked quietly.

Knave leaned in, bending to whisper in her ear. Alice shivered just a little. Slowly, he said, "Because to be crazy, you have to be sane first, and Miss Alice, you're anything but that!" He drew away, laughing like a maniac.

"You idiot! Is this some kind of joke to you?" Snapped Alice. Anger was surging through her veins.

Maria blinked in confusion. "What did he say?" She demanded.

Knave was still laughing hard. He paused, barely able to stop himself. "The truth!" He replied, just as he broke down laughing again.

"Why the hell did I free you from those woods?" Alice said. She was about to add, 'I must've been crazy!'  but stopped herself at the last minute. She bit down on her tongue.

Finally, Knave stopped laughing. "Phew!" He took a few deep breaths. "The look on your face!" He began. He looked at her and started laughing again, falling to the ground, holding his stomach. "My stomach it... it hurts!" He said, in between laughs. Maria looked at him with her eyebrows scrunched.

Alice put her head in her hands, wondering if there was any way she could get rid of this annoying-not-so-ghost, who she was bound to, thanks to her own stupidity. She offered a fake smile. "Yeah okay, the joke is over!" She snapped. Knave did not seem to hear her. "Fine then!" Alice shouted. "I hope you die laughing!" She said angrily.

"Technically, I cannot die!" Knave reminded, just as Alice climbed on her bed.

Alice forced her eyes shut, trying to ignore Knave's laughter.

'

It is happening!' Thought Maria, as she looked at Alice calling out her name.

Alice looked worried sick. As if she might faint at any second. If this is how she was reacting when she could not see them for a few minutes, then what will happen when she would realize that in a few days, she would not be able to see them all ever again?

Slowly, Alice was growing one step closer to losing everything.