Prologue (2 years ago)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Xavier Cavanaugh groaned as he opened his eyes, feeling the soreness in his neck. He tried moving but his limbs were tied to the chair with thick ropes, restraining his movements. He squinted his eyes, trying to adjust to the lighting in the room.

He was in an office of sorts with an amazing view of the beautiful city, a balcony with two couches and a centre table while a black desk was situated right in front of him.

A young girl with dark brown hair and sunglasses sat in front of him, sipping what he recognised as tea, occasionally flipping the pages of a black book which was probably written in Russian. Xavier could tell that the girl was a couple years younger than him, but her aura was dominating which made him want to melt right into the chair he was bound to.

"Lucas, our guest is awake. Do untie him." she calmly said, making him look at her in surprise, just as a young man in black clothing appeared beside Xavier, untying his ropes.

"This is Lucas Petrov, Mr. Cavanaugh, my shadow guard, subordinate and friend. Sorry if he startled you." Her slightly immature voice introduced, soothing him for some reason.

"What is - " He started, but Lucas interrupted him.

"Would you like some refreshments, Mr. Cavanaugh? Tea, coffee, perhaps poison?" He asked Xavier, as Xavier almost choked due to bewilderment.

The girl smirked and lightly commented, "Mr. Cavanaugh is an ally, Lucas. You can remove poison from the list."

"W-water, please." Xavier replied hoarsely, and cleared his throat.

"Of course, Mr. Cavanaugh." Lucas said, and walked away as quietly as he appeared.

The girl then pushed a file towards him, as she said, "Read it, Mr. Cavanaugh. This is the reason you're here today." And then continued to read her book, her empty cup left on the table in front of her.

Xavier hesitantly took the files, and his eyes widened reading the first few lines. "The Council of the White Knights?!" He almost screamed, and the girl looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

He couldn't decipher her emotions due to the sunglasses, but he could feel she was annoyed. He gulped his non-existent saliva and continued reading.

The history of the Conselho dos Cavaleiros Brancos, The Council of the White Knights, traced back to a couple of centuries earlier, when the underworld and the illegal trade had just begun.

The leaders of that age had appointed a few of thier most trustworthy knights, led by the Rei ( King) to keep those powers in check. The accumulated power, status and wealth had been passed down to the newer candidates of the Council, making the White Knights the most powerful, respected and dangerous organisation of the underworld.

The modern government knew that they couldn't stop the illegal business, so instead of trying to get rid of them, they tried to balance both the legal and the illegal world.

So Rei, as the supreme leader of the underworld, would meet the government representatives or the leaders themselves on a monthly basis to maintain the peace between both the powers.

The Council owned the most powerful businesses in the world, having their eyes and ears in every profession, every country and every organisation, resulting it to be the most successful organisations in the world.

Xavier Cavanaugh, being the youngest grandson of the American mafia leader, he knew the value and authority the Council held.

" I- I don't understand.......... what's this about?!" Xavier looked at the contract in horror, asking the girl in front of him.

"I believe the words are written on the paper right in front of you in a language you can comprehend, Mr. Cavanaugh." The girl replied, not bothering to look up from her book.

"You want me to join the Council? You- who are you?"

"According to my information, Mafia families don't allow to participate in its affairs until they reach the age of 21, which I believe your half-brothers alrea-" The girl began, ignoring his previous question, when Xavier interrupted, "Brothers. They are my brothers, miss."

"Very well, your brothers, are already over the age limit, and I believe you know about the upcoming mafia war, which unfortunately you won't be able to participate in. It would be such a pity, if you saw your family die in the crossfire, not being able to do anything, just because you were a few years younger, wouldn't it, Mr. Cavanaugh?" The girl sighed, as Xavier clenched his fists and took a deep breath.

" What. Do. You. Want. From. Me?" He asked through his gritted teeth.

"Join me, Mr. Cavanaugh. Join the Council and protect your family. Join the Council and protect your legacy." She said, a smirk playing an her lips.

"Why me? I am the most useless one among my brothers."

"That you are, but it makes you the least suspicious to be a member of the Council who has the highest authority in the underworld. And, I will personally oversee your training, Mr. Cavanaugh, and give me a year, I will make you one of the beat Knights the Council has. You have potential, Mr. Cavanaugh, and I won't let it go waste." She added , just as someone laughed behind them.

"You do know that you sound like a manipulative villain, right? Take it down a notch, will you, sis?" A blonde haired guy with sunglasses leaned against the door frame, holding a glass of water, grinning at them. "And here's your water, bro." He added.

"I believe that is none of your concern, brother. So, what do you say, Mr. Cavanaugh?" The girl asked, ignoring her brother.

Xavier looked at the contract in front of him and and finally signed it after a period of contemplation.

"It would be my honor. I'd love to join the Council." He said, and the girl smiled as she stood up, and reached out her gloved hand for a handshake.

" As Rei (King), the leader of the Council of the White Knights, I invite you to join us,
Mr. Cavanaugh. Happy Cooperation." She added, as he shook her hand.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you?" Xavier asked curiously.

The girl laughed, removing her glasses, and a pair of extremely familiar green eyes stared back at him.

"My name is Reign White, and this is my twin brother, River Martin. Our parents are Clarissa Monroe and Nicholas Cavanaugh. So, you can call me Rei (King), Mr. Cavanaugh, or you can just call me sister."
____________________________________________

Hello, fellow readers!
Hope you enjoyed!

Vote
Comment
Share!

--Book_vampire2131.