Chapter 4

_________________________________

River Martin
_______________________

I didn't understand him, Nicholas Cavanaugh. Our father.

Why was he acting like this? So good to us.

We grew up with Clarissa, shouldn't he be worried whether we were just like her? Maybe because we're his biological kids that he cares?

I glanced at Reign and saw that she had clenched her shaking hands, then shook myself out of my thoughts.

No, he doesn't. But even if he did, it shouldn't matter to me. If he hadn't been so indifferent and careless, he could've found us earlier and Reign wouldn't have to go through everything she did. We could've lived a normal life.

"So why don't you tell us something about your family, Mr. Cavanaugh. We'd love to know more about them." She said with a smile, and the corner of my mouth twitched

The deception had begun.

He looked at us through the rearview mirror with a grin, assuming we were actually wanted to know more about our family.

Your guess couldn't be worse, old man.

"Well, you've got a total of 5 elder brothers, 4 elder cousins, then you've got my elder brother, my older sister  and my brother-in-law, so two uncle's and an aunt, your grandfather and your granduncle." He rambled, and would've started counting on his fingers if he wasn't driving.

"Sounds like a lovely family, Mr. Cavanaugh." Reign said in soft voice, and I snorted, looking outside the window.

"It is. It does get a little chaotic sometimes, but that's the best part. And please, call me Nicholas. Mr. Cavanaugh is my uncle, your granduncle."

"So, Nicholas, what about our brothers? What can you tell us about them?" Reign added, trying to let the conversation continue.

"Well, the eldest is Alexander, ha can be a little cold and detached, but he loves everyone in his own way. Then comes Ethan, he is more of a happy and soft-spoken caretaker of the family. Caden and Creed are identical twins with exact opposite personalities. Caden is a happy-go-lucky, lively person, while Creed is more of a quiet bookworm. And then, finally, there's Xavier, he has more of an angry and indifferent personality, but his intelligence and loyalty know no bounds. You guys would fit right in with them, in almost no time." Nicholas continued, lost in his thoughts, probably about the people he just babbled about.

Family.

Reign and I had craved a family when we were younger, but then somewhere along the way, we had lost that dream.

We now had our own duties and responsibilities, presently unwilling to be tied down to a group of people you give all your emotional security to.

Reign had her own emotional support, her boyfriend, who– I hate to admit– was a good person.
On the other hand, I just had my twin.

Don't get me wrong, Delilah was an amazing companion, but she could never be a mother figure I'm my life.
I craved affection, familial affection, but I was afraid of getting my hopes up.

I agree, Reign and I were using the Cavanaughs for our own benefit, but somewhere deep down, I hoped this was the place I dreamed of.

Just then, I felt the coolness of leather on top of my hand, as I looked at Reign holding my hand. The top of her ears were tinted red, and my jaw almost fell off.

What kind of person Reign is, I knew very well, so her showing any kind of affection was rare. I gave her a huge smile, and held her hand firmly, unwilling to ever forget this feeling.

"Yes, I reckon we'd get along just fine. Wouldn't want it any other way." Reign replied in a calm tone, which gave off a soft feeling to anyone who heard it.

Even though I could never really understand Reign, but being one of her subordinates in the Council and one of the people who understood her best, Reign was an amazing person. She was fiercely loyal, brave, skilled, and indifferent deep down to her bones, as well as a great actress.

She's a person who'd do anything to keep her family and loved ones safe and happy.

No one knew that better than me, as she suffered throughout her childhood for me.

"Really? I'm glad to hear that! The others are eager to meet you guys as well. Well, my brother's family lives in the same neighborhood as ours, so we've invited them to meet you guys in the evening. And my sister's family will be here by tomorrow. And absolutely no need to overwhelm yourselves, we are a quite laid back family. Of cour......."

"Nicholas, breathe. It's you who is over-reacting." Reign gently reminded him and I snorted.

"If only closed minds came with closed mouths." I muttered, and she glared at me.

"I hope you don't mind my brother, Nicholas. He himself doesn't know when to shut up."

"No problem, Reign. It must be hard for both of you guys." He replied with a smile and I almost laughed in his face.

Wake up, old man. She's indirectly called you talkitive, or better yet, loquacious.

"And River, you better shut up. Você não é nada melhor ( You aren't any better)." She added, and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, kids, we're here! Welcome to your new home and amazing family!" Nicholas exclaimed, as pulled up in front of a beautiful house in a quiet and sophisticated neighborhood.

"Time to meet nossa família (our family)."
___________________________

Reign looked at the mansion in front of her, and then at the balcony of one of the upper rooms.

A dark red –almost black– eyed golden eagle stared back at the young girl, his owner and best friend.

Reign's eyes shined as she stared at the majestic creature, as a smiled a genuine smile, as she whispered the name of a companion who had followed her through all these years, whether rain or snow.

"Crimson."
________________________________________

Thank you for reading!
Hope you enjoyed!

Vote
Comment
Share!

–Book_vampire2131.