Chapter Twenty-Five

There weren't enough words to describe the mixed feelings looming around the dinner table that consisted of six. 

Mrs Cenk held her head up high, her whole family was complete, her daughter and son newly married, all the whilst watching intently how Hayat had picked at her food for nearly an hour whilst everyone else was almost finished. She noticed how her daughter in law's cheeks changed from holding a soft tinge of pink to a drained pale grey, all over the course of a few weeks. 

She knew her son. The panicked phone calls in the middle of the night and the begging at her feet when the accident happened. The wound was stitched up nicely, no need to venture to a hospital when a private doctor came at Adam's beck and call, equipment at hand.

Oh her son was an idiot; he couldn't control his anger, he was impulsive, spoilt she thought.

And she knew exactly when a woman was not in love with her husband. 

She could tell from Hayat's innocent eyes, or was it the feeling she felt that was all too familiar?

Mrs Cenk cleared her throat, her thoughts making her somewhat uncomfortable. She was determined to not let her daughter live through the same pain as she did and as she peered at the beautiful couple to her right, her spirits lifted. 

She was proud of her son in law, in everything that he was. Malik was the exact opposite of Adam, he was her son's best friend and she knew why. He put Adam in his place; he had reasoning, understanding and he was smart, calculated, charismatic and she adored those aspects. 

His family were filthy rich which was a bonus not to mention well known within her high society of friends, it gave her a sense of pride knowing her daughter was married to an elitist.

She squeezed her husbands hand on the table, an unconscious gesture, to make sure he was still by her side.

'Dessert anyone?' She gestured to the maids that scurried out the room to the kitchen upon the lady of the house's request.

Hayat was shook out of her thoughts upon her mother's booming voice. She glanced towards her food, bored, itching to get away from that table. 

In fact, as the minutes went by she could feel eyes burn into her face from the man she had only met a few hours ago who was supposedly betrothed to her sister in law. If she knew he was a scoundrel that stared at other women, she would have told Amina there and then at her wedding day to leg it. 

She felt an agonising pain in her chest as her mind travelled to that night at Amina's wedding.

The moment in dawned upon her that she was utterly in love with him; the way he gave her pleasurable tingles that ignited her every vein, the way she felt protected within his arms, his gaze, everything that he was.

He held the most beautiful heart that she wanted to possess and that he willingly gave her when he confessed his love to her, only to lose it a few weeks after. 

She had no idea what the future had in store for her but she wanted nothing to do with it. She was drowning within bittersweet memories of the past and she wanted to stay like that, gasping for air. The past gave her a glimmer of hope, something to look forward to and perhaps an escape from the cruel reality that faced her. 

She shuffled in her seat, uncomfortable with his intruding gaze as she noticed his eyes lingering  just a little too long down her body. 

He gave her an unnerving feeling from the pit of her stomach which she could not place her finger upon. 

'Are you okay my love?' Adam spoke softly whilst squeezing her hand that lay on the table.

She was not okay.

Last Sacrifice | #Wattys2018जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें