Chapter Twenty

Hayat sat facing her window, the very window that shed a small amount of light on her dreary life. She would look out of it every single day when she awoke, yet as she peered at the rays given from the morning sun, she felt anything but hopeful.

It was as if she had nothing to hold on to, everything good in her life seemed to crumble into tiny pieces, becoming something lifeless, perished or non-existent. She felt warm tears wet her cheeks, drops falling onto her cotton nightie. She smiled to herself as she watched the tears absorb into the material.

He was like those tears.

Her heart absorbed the words he uttered to her, and she never did forget the expression in his eyes. The genuine meaning to the words flowing from his lips.

Her fingers brushed across her arms in slow strokes, tracing the memory of his hands touching her skin. She closed her eyes, wanting to replay the intimate moment of the two of them. She lay back down on her bed, her hair sprawled onto the massive pillow.

'Do you feel the same way about me, Hayat?'

She could do nothing to erase his question from her mind, it kept her company at night and was the first thing she could hear in the morning. His desperate search for the secret she beheld in her heart.

'I do, Rayhan.' Her voice quietened into a mere whisper as those words left her swollen lips.

She had no desire to open her eyes to the harsh reality of where her life was taking her. To her father's choice and to the knot that would tie between her and a man she hadn't loved.

Her eyes tightened as she tried hard not to remind herself of her cruel predicament. She had done everything she possibly could to not confess her feelings to Rayhan. She had already made an oath to herself, not to let any harm come his way.

You had done the right thing, Hayat.

She let her conscience console her actions and with slow breathes and the tears that fell from her eyes, she succumbed to the heaviness seeping through her head. 

And soon she fell asleep.

***

'Do you know how much I love you, my princess?' Her voice was a soft melody, feminine and slightly high pitched.

She caressed her daughter's cheeks with one hand, whilst her elbow propped her up onto the pink bedsheets of the bed. She lay on her stomach with her daughter's favourite book in front of her. The Little Red Riding Hood.

'Mama, you always ask this question before bed.' Her daughter twiddled with the ears of her teddy bear before gazing at her mother with her black eyes.

'And you always give the same answer, my sweetheart.' She laughed and leaned to peck a kiss on her forehead.

'Forever, and always.' Her daughter gleamed at her, loving the way her mothers delicate fingers stroked her hair.

She glanced up at the clock, sparks of panic highlighting her eyes. She got up at once, making sure her daughter wasn't observing, and neatened the red dress that clung beautifully to her body.

She tiptoed across the room with her heels, and stood at the doorway, she blew another kiss to her daughter, switched off the lights and closed the door with a quiet thud.