Chapter Twenty-One

'Ray, come on, that's enough now.' Abdullah watched as Rayhan punished himself bitterly, reminiscing upon every single word she uttered.

His arms ached with futility with every aggressive scrub on the counter that was absolutely spotless. He hadn't even noticed that he'd been repeating the same action for over half an hour. Clearly, it was his way of venting his frustrations.

'Let's sit down and have a nice drink, hm?' Abdullah suggested, leaning against the counter with his elbows.

'If it wasn't for your stupid advice, I wouldn't be in this situation right now,' Rayhan threw the wet cloth onto the floor and glared at his friend. 'Would I?'

'Look, how many times have you tried to get her attention?' Abdullah snapped his fingers, wishing his friend was anywhere but in that helpless state of mind.

'You've said your piece, stop going after her, especially because she doesn't feel the same way about you.' Abdullah reasoned.

Rayhan clenched his fist, he didn't like what Abdullah was saying, not one bit. Sure, Rayhan said what he had to that day, but there was something else. The way she looked at him, he wouldn't forget the gleam in her eyes.

'I'm gone, make sure you lock up.' Rayhan threw his apron off, and reached for his jacket on the chair.

'Ray, give up!' Abdullah called out, but to no avail as the door shut with a loud slam behind his retreating figure.

He headed the corner, avoiding the route by the coast, knowing his mind would get flooded with memories of her. He zipped up his jacket and shoved his hands into his pockets. The cool air drifted between something and nothing as he let out a breath.

Maybe Abdullah was right, she had even said it herself, he was nothing more to her than some stranger who she'd coincidentally met.

But getting over her was the hard part. He'd remember watching how she dealt with her patients from afar. How she hadn't used her wealth to leverage herself in society. She remained simple, amongst those pig-headed aristocrats. Her heart was something he'd clung on to a long time ago; to withdraw now would be somewhat detrimental to his own heart.

He shook his head, he knew what he had to do. He had to see her. He wanted to be sure she didn't feel anything for him. There was a spark of hope in his heart that he'd be right about the way she felt about him. She would confess her feelings to him. He'd prove his mind wrong, he'd prove Abdullah wrong.

He turned and headed for the way to her house. His steps were light, his heart on edge; adrenaline pumped through his veins.

She could reject him or she could confess her feelings.

That small amount of hope gave him courage, he'd look right into her eyes and see that gleam. That mysterious hint of love shielded within her dark black orbs.

He stopped at the gates.

For a second, an inner feeling told Rayhan to turn around. Turn his back to her, let her be, carry on with his life as if he didn't meet her. He looked up at this massive mansion in front of him, he felt small, unworthy and suddenly the memory of her father creeped into his mind.

'May I help you, sir?' The bulky man in front of him shook him out of his thoughts.

His words were stuck in his throat, his mind and heart at conflict.

He had come all this way, he couldn't back out now.

'I'm here to see Hayat, could you please inform her.' His voice was barely audible.

'Miss Hayat is not available right now.' A tiny wave of relief washed through him, he wouldn't have to confront her. But knowing he wouldn't be able to see her; the disappointment that followed was worse.

'Oh, could you tell her I popped by please?' He cleared his throat, he didn't want to look affected. He looked to the front door, then at her bedroom window, the light was off. He wished to just go in, push past the guard and face her once more.

'Are you a relative?' The question lingered in the air.

Rayhan itched the back of his neck, nervously. He wasn't a relative, a friend, neither a colleague. He was a no one, a stranger to her. She was right.

'A friend.' Rayhan's eyes met the ground.

'Well, haven't you heard?'

'Heard what?' Rayhan threw his head up. A list of possibilities invaded his mind. The adrenaline doubled, sweat creeped onto his palms.

'Her engagement was today.'