Chapter Nine

The soft rays of light met her eyes as she woke up. She stretched under the silk covers of her duvet and yawned loudly. She felt excited and just happy. She felt as if she had accomplished something and that feeling gave her a slight tingle in her toes.

'Hayat!' Her father bellowed from downstairs and at once she threw on her black dress and a shawl. What on earth?

'Yes, Baba.' Her footsteps carried her all the way down the two flights of stairs before she was directly in front of a gloomy face.

'We've been invited to a wedding today. It is at 7PM and I want you to wear your best clothes, none of these black rags.' A wedding? Whose? Could it be Adam's sisters'? Although how did they know Baba?

'A close friend of mine, his daughters getting married. It was short notice, but I don't want to let him down.' A close friend? Adam's father was her fathers close friend? Since when? Although, she never really did interfere in her father's life but what a small world! He glanced at his watch and his expression changed to a strict one again.

'Do you understand me?' It was more of a command than a question and Hayat nodded her head in obedience.

'Yes, sir.' She rephrased with complete submission and only then did he turn on his heels and with his hands behind his back he walked out the door. He resembled an army man, with his stiff tall figure and fine beard. He never smiled, nor did he laugh or joke. Perhaps, that's why everyone was fond of him, he was a great listener.

Hayat walked back to her room, still in shock that her father was Adam's father's friend, I mean how? Well, they did have one thing in common. Wealth and status. Oh, that's two.

Hayat reached for the doors at the end of her room and breathed slowly. The last time she opened these doors was a good two years ago and although the servants updated them every three weeks to stay in fashion, she never really bothered trying anything on.

She walked inside the expansive closet, an array of dresses lined within see through body bags, the variety of colours almost blinding her. She only just started looking and came across one. Hayat's shaky fingers grazed the chiffon material of the dress.

The dress that her mother wore.

'Do I look pretty?' Her mother looked through the mirror at her curvaceous figure, pausing to take in the way the cream dress flowed out at the bottom, trailing as she took a few steps forward.

'Mama, you look beautiful.' Spoke the six year old, that sat on the leather couch in her parents bedroom.

'Baby, are you sure Baba will like it?' She peered at her daughter with love and compassion within her hazel orbs. She was an ethereal definition of beautiful. Her plump lips and small nose were features her father loved when he would nibble at it and kiss passionately. They were in love.

'Where's my two queens? I can't seem to find them anywhere?' A jolly voice called out from outside the room and her mother squealed in joy.

'Baba, take a look at Mama!' The little girl mirrored her mothers actions and squealed with joy too.

Her father walked in, and he paused at the doorway as he took a good look at the most beautiful woman his eyes had ever laid upon. His breathe seemed to get caught as he took in every curve and the way her long brown hair would flow against her back. His black eyes were full of love and passion and he walked closely towards her.