Chapter Thirteen

Salty drops fell from her round chin onto the piece of paper she read through a thousand times. Hayat underestimated the brevity of his words as she read each page over and over again, till she recovered from the nostalgia settling within her heart.

She heard rhythmic footsteps approaching her bedroom door and fumbled with the paper in her shaky hands. Hayat didn't want him to see what she was reading, it was private and she just wished to keep it away from prying eyes.

She hid them all under her pillow hurriedly, crumpling them as she went along. She winced as pages obstinately stuck out at the sides.

The door opened upon three knocks and there her father stood, eyes flitting around the room in observation and he looked at the unkempt girl on the bed who looked as if she hadn't a wink of sleep.

'Hayat.' He called firmly, alerting her of his presence.

'Yes, sir.' She blinked under thick lashes that were stuck together in clumps, never lifting her gaze to meet with his.

'What is that your reading?' His eyes cornered the pages that were sticking out of her pillows.

Panic arose in her chest and she started to tap hastily on her knee, silently pleading for him not to come closer or otherwise she really would be in trouble.

'N-Nothing. It's- just papers-' Hayat squirmed under his piercing gaze, choking out a few words before he interrupted.

'That are stuffed under your pillows?' The familiar clicking of his sole against the cream floorboards as he moved closer caused Hayat to fidget with the straggly ends of her hair.

Sweat beads dripped down her forehead and a surge of anxiety coursed her veins upon each step he took.

No, please no.

A phone buzzed loudly, echoing across the hallway and he stopped midway in his tracks.

'Only this time.' His eyes held a wickedness to them that she didn't want to see.

His threat was as clear as day and as he went out the room in swift strides, she locked the door behind her. She fell down on the floor, losing her balance to the tingles running through her legs.

Hayat was scared. She was afraid of what would happen to her if her father found out about Rayhan. She didn't want that last bit of happiness she experienced to ever end. He gave her that sound source of hope and happiness, something that her father couldn't give her.

She thought about Rayhan's words over and over again, they echoed within her mind and she fell in love with his eloquence. He hid that part of expressiveness from the world, instead showing people a completely different character.

Although, she really should have asked him if she could read them or not...

***

The paper was finally in her hands. His discharge papers. Hayat felt a sense of accomplishment as she gave him the pen to sign his name off.

They stood at the reception area of the hospital, Adam was fully packed, all his belongings which he clutched firmly in one hand. She really did feel short against his tall stature.

'Happy to get rid of me, hm?' Adam twisted his brow as he questioned Hayat.

He didn't want to leave. He wanted to stay right by her. In fact Adam loved it there, seeing her walk past the halls with a dozen papers in her delicate hands. He loved his vulnerability against her caring soft nature. He loved his stay at the hospital and he'd definitely pop in a word to his doctor about his incredible nurse.

'Of course not! I'm just so happy to see you, well- happy!' She laughed between her words, she felt so relieved just then. As always, she done a great job of uplifting her patients spirits and moods. So she thought.

He loved the way she laughed and that would be a symphony etched in his mind, forever.

She handed the paper to him and almost jumped with joy, finally he would be out of the hospital, enjoying the life he deserves.

'I'm going to get a drink just stay here-'

Her movement was too quick as she was walking and she bumped into a hard chest before nearly collapsing to the ground. He steadied her before she could fall, both his hands fastened securely onto her slender arms.

She took a moment to glance up at the person she had collided with. Inadvertently, her grip on his white t-shirt relaxed and she lay her palm flat on his robust chest. Her eyes hooked onto his deep ones and she froze almost immediately.

Butterflies erupted within the deep pits of her stomach, her heart beat gradually increasing with every rise and fall of her chest.

His hazel orbs danced with passion and playfulness as he withheld her gaze, conversing in the form of subtle blinks. His beard was scruffy and his light brown hair tousled as if he had just woken up. His v-neck shirt exposed just the tops of his toned chest that was shiny with a sheen of sweat.

She couldn't look away neither could she free herself from his grasp. It was as if Hayat didn't want him to let go.

The moonlight, as sheltered wings over the fervent soul, evoked deep artistry within his radiant cognisance.

She didn't want to let go.

She was sure of it.

She wanted to hear those words echo through her mind with him repeating it in her ears. She wanted to hear the deepness of his voice as he read his thoughts to her.

She craved his soul.

His beautiful soul.

'Ahem.'

Rayhan let go of his grasp on her and turned to the man who broke such an intimate moment.

To hell with him...

Adam stood glaring at Rayhan with hatred flowing through his green irises. His whole body was tensed and his chest heaved in a way that made Rayhan think the guy was trying to be intimidating.

Hayat, highly uncomfortable with the situation turned towards Adam who had the paper clutched in his hand. His hand that was fisted! The paper was sure to have been crumpled up and Hayat winced. She so needed that paper! What was wrong with him?

'Adam,' Her voice was soft as she called his name, jolting him from his obvious jealousy. 'The paper please.' She pointed to the crumpled ball in his fist. She wanted to laugh.

He wasn't moving and Rayhan noticed the way his eyes stayed glued to him, as if he wanted to murder him already.

Rayhan looked at Hayat whose eyes glimpsed over his face every second or so. He winked at her before walking back down the hall into one of the wards.

Her heart fluttered briefly in her chest as he winked at her. She felt like a little girl who came in contact with her first crush. What the hell was happening to her?

And what the hell was he doing at the hospital?