1; y/n

the world seems to be split into two:
the good, then the bad.
and it's easy to unintentionally fall under a side of the spectrum.
but what's not as easy is deciding what labels you as the good or bad.
it all is in the eye of the beholder, what is "good" and what is "bad." we each have our own form of judgement, as well as the fact that some are simpler to decide than others.
it's also effortless to be pulled to either side. one huge influence is love.
love can easily drive you to the edge of "good" or "bad."
like, what happened to me.
i mean, i knew i was going to fall for someone eventually, i just would have never guessed it could be him.
-

i opened the classroom door as quietly as possible, avoiding any attention to fall upon me.

"morning, y/n. i was worried about you."

i'm only 10 minutes late.

"i'm so sorry, mr. suzaki. it's been a very rough morning."

that wasn't a lie- several attempts of calming my mother down during her panic attack was quite rough.

"no worries, take a seat so we can continue."

i nodded and placed my books down onto the desk next to the window. i sat down, feeling a sense of relief as the sunlight hit my skin.

"to be honest, mino, i didn't think he'd believe such a cheap excuse," laughed a very recognizable voice behind me, "but acknowledging the way you suck up to him, i can see why."

i glowered back to him, "i mean, it does take one to know one, yagami. you sure do know a lot about sucking." i gave him a devilish wink then shifted my concentration back onto the board.

"now, i have results from monday's quiz. please wait patiently as i pass them back."

i smirked to myself, appreciating the anticipation of not knowing who scored higher: me or yagami.

light and i have had this competition since i first moved here, which was in year 6. he's always been top of his classes, until i appeared, and began to outsmart him. though everyone hoped for us to form a powerful friendship, our envy of eachother got in the way, and we've been in this never ending rivalry since.  

"great job, y/n," mr. suzaki gushed as he placed the paper face down on the desk, "although this isn't anything new for you!"

i flipped the test, revealing my score: 105%.

an additional 5 points for correctly completing the extra credit portion.

"nice job to you aswell, light. not surprised either."

i glanced at yagami, and peeked at his score.

103%. he didn't do the extra credit completely right.

i turned back around and smiled, holding back my laugh.

"looking at my score, huh? do you have any solid reason to be so invested with my life, mino?"

i faced him and irritatedly rolled my eyes, "you're just mad, per usual. are you upset that a girl has beat you, again?"

"don't get too ahead of yourself. 2% more doesn't mean anything. calm that ego of yours down."

"oh, but that 2% meant a lot when i got a 96 and you got a 98, don't you remember, yagami?"

just as yagami's mouth opened, mr. suzaki snapped his fingers, "light, y/n, please quit with the flirting. may you help the other students revise?"

i scrunched my nose in disgust, and turned back around.

"sure thing."

+++

i unlocked my locker and set my books into my backpack.

the final bell rang, and i saw my bestfriend emiko approach me.

"hey y/n," she helped me zip up my bag.

"hi, thank you!"

"yep. do you wanna go to the theater with me and ren tonight?"

i threw my bag over my shoulder, and closed my locker.

"sorry, can't. i have lots of pre-calc homework."

she frowned, "boring. i'm so happy i'm too dumb to be in that class."

emiko wasn't dumb. she was a straight B student, which was pretty good. her boyfriend ren does seem to dumb her down, unfortunately, so i avoid third wheeling with them as much as possible.

"funny. i'll call you later, though, love you," i said as i began walking out the school, "have fun with ren!"

"love you too!" she shouted back.

-

first chapter is pretty short, sorry. just for reference, each chapter will switch between y/n's and light's pov. sometimes even a few other characters.
also, the main character's name is "y/n mino." so if you were confused to why light called her mino, it's because that's her last name.
and one more thing- as of now, y/n's chapters will be longer than lights, as she will be developing a lot more in the next few chapters. i will try to publish at least twice a week.
- 🍋