2; light

i locked my door and threw my bag onto my bed.

"hey, light," ryuk said.

"yes?"

"that girl, y/n, what's the deal between you two? i've seen you guys argue quite a bit the past few days."

i turned on the tv, "we're both top of our classes, and she thinks she's better than me. we just have some sort of competition to see who can score higher, and, i guess be smarter."

ryuk chuckled.

"what's so funny?" i questioned.

"you humans are just so interesting. what is it a competition for? is there some prize to win, or something?"

i shrugged my shoulders, "no, i guess it just boosts our self-esteems when one scores higher than the other. now enough questions, i need to watch the news."

"she's pretty, light, don't you think?"

he's so weird. why is he suddenly asking about people, especially y/n?

"sure, i guess so."

y/n is super hot, no doubt to that. plus, she is incredibly smart, which makes her even more attractive. but it's not like any of it mattered anyway.

ryuk snickered.

i grasped the book from my bag and rested on my chair. i began my daily afternoon routine, which consisted of writing down criminal's names who aired on tv.

"light, is she smarter than you?"

"who," i stopped writing, "y/n?"

ryuk nodded. i rolled my eyes.

"no, of course not. what's with all the questions, ryuk? since when do you care so much?"

"i don't," he uttered, "i just find it fascinating how competitive and jealous you humans are of eachother. competing for no sort of prize, kind of strange."

i dropped my pencil, turning around.

"jealous," i shouted, "why would i be jealous of her!"

"well, obviously there's some sort of emotion that's driving you to want to constantly score higher than her. her intelligence upsets you, does it not?"

"it doesn't upset me," i swung back around, facing the death note.

"then why do you want to be better than her?"

"ryuk, can you please stop questioning me? i do what i want, i don't need someone constantly asking me about all of my sudden moves."

he shrugged, "if you insist. now, can i have an apple?"

i reached into the basket that lye on my desk, and threw him a red apple.

i resumed deliberately writing names, my eyes shifting back and forth from the tv and down to the paper.

but as i continued writing, my mind couldn't stop shifting back to y/n. the way she spoke to me today..

who does she think she is?

does she really think she's brighter than me?

more clever?

the thought itself made me tense up.

god, sometimes i wish she was a criminal, just so i could have an excuse to get rid of her.

i wasn't jealous, no, just annoyed. i deserve to have my own recognition and appreciation, without her constantly taking it away from me.

but by the time all of this is over, she'll be nothing compared to me.