6; light

i entered the classroom and sat down.

y/n walked in shortly after, and sat in her spot behind me.

i was shocked to see her attend school today, considering what my father told me:

her step dad passed away from a heart attack.

and i wasn't even the one to kill him.

the bell rang, interrupting my thoughts.

"goodmorning, everyone!" exclaimed mr. suzaki.

the class didn't reply.

"i hope you all had time to read about the upcoming project! we will all get our partners in a few minutes, first we must discuss the project and how we'll lay it out."

he turned on the projector.

"this unit.." i didn't feel the need to listen to him. i already have a good memory of what we mastered.

"you and your partner will be assigned a short fictional novel. you must identify the protagonist and antagonist, then figure out who will write about who. each of you must have a written argument of why your character was the most significant for the plot. you have 2 weeks, so i suggest you start as soon as possible."

so i get to argue with someone and write it down? sounds too simple and stupid to be such a flaunted project.

"the packets passed out will have everything in much more detail, including what your argument must cover. now time for the best part, partners!"

i zoned out as he began to read out names, assigning each student their partner.

i honestly couldn't care less about who i was set with, as long as they weren't dense and or braindead.

"light,"

i refocused once i heard my name.

"y/n."

my lips pressed tight, and my head shook.

you motherfucker.

it's almost as if he did it on purpose- for fucks sake, he probably did.

i heard ryuk crack up beside me.

i would've been fine with anyone but her. 

mr. suzaki began passing out the packets. i had the urge to trip him.

"that's hilarious," ryuk taunted, "this week couldn't get any better."

i gawked at him, making it clear that i wasn't nearly as amused.

"please, use the rest of the period to scrutinize the packets with your partner!"

i dreaded turning around and facing her.

"so," i heard the irksome voice behind me, "are we gonna get this over with, or not?"

i sighed and pushed my chair towards her desk.

there was such a strong and awkward tension between us. we never talk.

unless we're bickering, of course.

"excited to see me, aren't you?" she asked sarcastically.

i scoffed, "in your dreams."

she uncomfortably sat there, looking around to avoid any eye contact.

i glanced up at her a few times, examining her appearance.

her under eyes looked darker than usual.

she seemed pale.

she was licking her lips and constantly shifting her movement.

there was clear look of unease crossed on her face.

"i, um, i'm sorry for your loss," i blabbered, breaking the silence.

she finally met her eyes with mine, "how did you know?"

"my father."

i watched as her tongue briefly stuck to the side of her mouth.

"right, thanks."

her words remained dull, although i didn't blame her for it.

the both of us read our papers in silence, being the only students who weren't spending their time chatting about absolute nonsense.

i cringed almost every second i spent sitting here- but not entirely because i was with her. everything was so incredibly awkward and unrelaxed.

"who do you want?" i inquired.

she squinted her eyes, puzzled.

"what?"

i rolled my eyes, "do you want to write about the antagonist, or protagonist?"

"well i don't know, i haven't read the novel yet."

"i'll probably write about the protagonist." i replied.

she shot me a dissatisfied, cold look.

"what if i want the protagonist? who said you get to make all the decisions?"

i loudly huffed.

god, shes so defensive.

"i'm not making any decisions."

she quietly mocked me, leaving me more and more irritated.

something about her intrigued me today, but i still regarded her with a lower. 

the bell then chimed, causing me to flinch.

"my house at 4?" i requested, standing up.

she stood and glared at me with a faint smile.

"sure thing, yagami."