16; y/n

"is it wrong, though?"

i jerked my head and let out breath of disbelief, "um, i don't know, being a mass murderer? i'd sure think so!"

"y/n, you even said yourself, they're criminals."

as much as it hurt to admit, he had a point.

as much as i tried to think like a 'good person,' i wasn't.

i killed ken.

i killed him because he hurt me. he deserved to be in prison, he deserved to be dead.

light, was killing those who hurt others.

to ease the minds of victims like myself.

i'd be selfish and more wrong to assume i was the only one who deserved justice.

my heart rate surely sped up as my mind and values shifted once again.

i instantly regretted contacting L.

but, i feared that i would also regret concurring with light.

as of now, my moral compass was muted. it didn't exist.

i couldn't trust light. but, i also felt that i couldn't trust myself.

my silence confirmed his assumption, and my view.

"what now?" i asked.

i genuinely didn't know what to do.

he hesitated, confirming that he didn't either.

"do you truly hate me, y/n?"

do i?

i mean, i have no true reason to.

why? because we're both smart? because he tried to kiss me? that's ridiculous. we're not children.

"no."

my answer was plain.

"then join me."

staggering, my eyes widened.

"what?"

"did i stutter? join me. it seems as if you have no other choice."

his broad, threatening statement frustrated me.

"no other choice? what are you gonna do, yagami, kill me?"

he leered, snickering as he rose from the bed.

"i mean, i could."

although he was sardonic, i derided, "well, so could i!"

"that's the point, y/n. join me. you're smart."

he coyly looked down on me, "very smart. which is the reason why we've had our childish quarrels throughout all these years."

he kneeled down, eliminating the little distance between us.

"an enemy will always be more loyal than a friend, right?"

an enemy will always be more loyal than a friend.

those words repeated in my head. he was right- an enemy has more to prove than a friend does.

i always thought about light and i becoming allies. the 2 most intellectual in the school- hell, probably even japan.

except light had an advantage. his father is the head of the task force. he had access to endless knowledge and learning, with a functioning family dynamic.

me, on the other hand, what did i have? an abusive mother? non existent dad? only enough money coming in to pay the bills?

everything i know had to be acquired on my own. i never once had a helping hand. this is what ultimately made me feel superior to light.

"okay," i let a breath out, "how?"

he grinned, "we'll be partners. you do what i do. we track different sources of criminal names. we can get rid of criminals twice as fast. your shinigami eyes will give us an advantage. in case of any obstacles, we work together to avoid them. two high functioning brains are better than one. having 2 of us lessens the chance of us getting caught- if one of us goes down and the other continues, it'll let us off the hook. they'll believe kira goes beyond the power of a singular person. we'll confuse L, and put a halt to the investigation."

how did he know i had shinigami eyes?

i stayed immobile, my eyes deadlocked into his.

do i believe this is right? does this make me evil? or a savior? what do i get out of this? fuck do i know, light made my moral compass nonexistent.

"we need to have rules," i spoke up. he nodded in approval for me to continue.

"we only kill criminals of violent and sexual crimes. or those awaiting death row. i don't want to kill some 20 year old who got arrested for slanging drugs."

i took a pause and glanced at the book.

"we remain the way we are in public settings. we continue to argue in class, appear disdainful towards eachother. students notice things, and talk. we never know who can draw suspicion upon us."

light nodded in agreement, staying mute out of respect for me to finish.

"we stay loyal to eachother. self explanatory. the betrayal of just one of us ultimately leads to the downfall of the both of us."

"may i add one more," light spoke up with a cunning smile, "you can't fall in love with me."