sixteen : next to an angel, near hell

"So, thanks to the contract Jimin and Seokjin did when I first stepped in as CEO, he wouldn't be able to take it from me that easily. And they also investigated about the embezzlement."

"They're good, I'm glad things turned out well for you. And also for what's best for the company. Grandfather chose you as the CEO for a reason."

"For sure, I care about the company we've built. So, I made them an offer to be legal representatives of the company and also aid our legal team." I walk around his office looking at the pictures he has of Lotte events or branches, or him with clients.

"Took you long enough." He's skimming through some pages.

"I know, but I'll sign contract for 5 years with them in a few days. I'll be leaving town this Friday the 19th and I'll return the 20th."

"Just for one day? Where are you going?" He asks.

"Shanghai, the branch there is turning 10 years and they'll have this event to celebrate, I'll stop by, shake hands and come back."

"That's nice. Have fun then." He leaves the pages on his desk. Walking over to me."You should go out more, don't you think? Stay in Shanghai for a couple more days and get out of Seoul for a while. You've managed to stay away from press and media for quite some time now. Really, what's the point for all the work you do if it isn't for you as well?"

"I know." I sigh. "Promise I'll try, but I really can't now, the project is still ongoing and due to all of this Lim bullshit, I have to be here more than ever."

"Okay then... but could you do me a favor? Please look after yourself? Have you been taking the vitamins I gave you?"

"Yes, I am." True, but there are days I forget about them. "I'm fine," I look away. "Really, don't worry about me." I shrug.

"You know I do and I'll always do. And I hate we don't spend as much time as we used to, but I do care about my little sister."

"Thank you, Seojoon, for worrying about me." I give him a genuine smile. "I'm fine, really." I nudge him with my elbow.

"Have a safe trip, Dahye."

I stand backstage, as the voice of the VP from Shanghai's division blasts throughout the room.

"Baek&Chaek is the biggest architectural firm in all Asia, founded in 1963, our firm specializes in architecture, consulting, design, urban planning, management services and construction. Today more than 1,200 architects working from offices in Japan, Shanghai, Manila, Australia, and the US, combining strength of B&C's 17,000 experts within architecture, engineering and environmental services, they can take on any project from design and planning to construction and site supervision. B&C studios always stride for excellence, Baek Da-hye is now the successor of such empire. Please welcome, Ms. Baek Da-hye."

People start clapping, as I smile shyly, as camera flashes flood the room. I step on the podium, bowing my head a little at the lady that introduced me to the audience.

"Thank you, Ms. Zhang for that introduction," I turn to look at her, then back at the audience. "Good evening, and thank you very much to all of you who have joined us in this special night. It is a great honor to be here, Shanghai is a very lovely city." I smile brightly as I speak each word eloquently. "I want to start by thanking every single one of you, for your daily efforts, they are not taken for granted, and it's because of you, that we are the largest architectural firm in East Asia. Sixty one years ago, my grandfather founded a little firm in Seoul, after the war, look at that little firm now. And it is -all because of you," People start clapping. "And now we are celebrating 10 years of B&C here in Shanghai only. Being honest, I always heard my grandfather talk about expanding the company, about helping the community, his dream was possible thanks to all the B&C team. And Shanghai is part of our family as well. I can't thank enough to everyone about your daily efforts and all the talent our designers, managers, architects and engineers bring to every single project. Let's keep building excellence and excelling at this art." The crowd claps again. "Thank you, enjoy the night." I bow my head a little.