twelve : pride first

School days.

The lunch bell just rang off and it's time to meet my buddies. I put my books aside standing up quickly to meet them outside.

"Hey Da-hye," A guy comes closer, with a flirtatious look, I think he's a senior. His friends are behind him.

"Hey,"  I stand there, quizzical.

"Listen, I wanted to know if you were free this weekend-"

"I'll be out of town for the weeknd." I cut him off. "So, I'm not available, sorry." I hear other guys laugh at him on my way out.

I could give someone the chance, but him asking me out in front of his stupid friends, it feels as if they made a bet on it.

Thankfully, I spot them, they're coming back from PE as they have their uniforms and they're all sweaty, I run to them.

"So, where we going this Saturday boys?" I put my arms around their shoulders.

A few people standing there by the hallway look at me weirdly for doing so. Even teachers aren't fond of me being physical with them, but I didn't really had a traditional Korean upbringing.

"Shit, I'm not going anywhere, I need to study Algebra, that shit is getting harder every class, I failed the last Algebra IV test," Hoseok complains. Yoongi and I chuckle. "Nah, I won't make it this weekend, you guys go."

"You have any plans?" I turn to look at Yoongi. He makes his lips into a pout, and shakes his head, no.

"Where do you want to go, anyways?" Hoseok asks. We go outside, some kids are playing soccer.

"I was planning to go the beach, Yoongi can drive us now that he got his driving license." I smile. "My dad left this morning, he'll be back until next week, plus he left for me his black credit card."

"Don't you have any tests next week? Don't you have some study to do?"

"God, you sound like my brother. Relax, I study every night before sleep so I don't have to do it during the weekend. You know I'm like that." I smile proudly, shrugging.

"Aish, yeah sure you little Einstein." Hoseok jokingly laughs at me and nudges my arm, I laugh.

We find a bench, I sit on it, and they stand in front of me. Yoongi with his hands behind his back, as always. Why is he so quiet today?

I thought we agreed not to make anything between us awkward? I am being my normal self, he's quieter than usual.

He knows I'm looking at him and that's why he looks anywhere but me. I need to know what's going on.

"Wow~ Summer these days is crazy," I fan myself with my hands. "How can you guys stand being in that uniform all day?"

"Wait, I'll get us some refreshments, I'll be back," Hoseok leaves. Yoongi keeps looking away.

"So," He slowly looks at me, shyly. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," He shrugs.

Can't believe he's shy over a kiss.

"Shit, I know you too well, Min Yoongi. Are you upset about the kiss?" I raise an eyebrow. He kissed me first anyways? As an accident, I know. I didn't even had any second thoughts about it, I just laughed it off. We all did. Hobi was there and was a witness.

But well, I did kissed him with full intention the next day, but it was just a kiss.

"I'm not upset." His face is straight.

"Then?" I stand up, to face him. He looks down on me, since obviously he's taller than me.

"I'm not upset." He repeats. I watch him run his tongue through his lips, wetting them.

He was my first kiss.

"Yeah, duh, you already said that." He rolls his eyes and moves away from me, turning around to avoid my gaze. He doesn't say anything, and tries just walk past this like that? "I knew I shouldn't have kissed you." I don't mean it. I should never open my mouth when I'm angry, I always regret the things I say.

"I shouldn't have let you kiss me either."

I know he will never see it because I'm too proud to let him see it, but that did hurt. Even though I said it first.

I'm too young for this shit. And it was just a fucking kiss. It was nothing.

"Okay, we both regret it, let's just shrug this off." I sit back in the bench. "It was nothing anyways," I look around for Hobi.

He turns around, and sits on the bench. I'm sure he wants to say something else about it. I'm sure of it.

But he doesn't.

"Where to this weekend then?"  His voice is soft.

I meet his little eyes, and we both smile.

"Get your driving license ready."

🫀

Throwback, a day after they first kissed. Baek and Hoseok are 17, Yoongi is 18 here.