1 - Black Swan Bay

Arc 1. Beginnings.

In a world once ruled by the Dragon Raja clan, a certain college for dragon slayers rose up to defeat the last of these monsters. From the icy harbors of Siberia to bustling Chicago, there is more to the dragon slaying mission than meets the eye.

-

The children were accustomed to the cold. At the Black Swan Bay orphanage, many of the orphan children could be spotted barefoot as they ran through the snow. Some boys would even flaunt their ability to go outside shirtless, even when their skin was cold to the touch.

However, even though she too was used to the frigid weather in Siberia Harbor, today was not one of those days where Y/N could bring herself to wander the orphanage with her bare skin against the snow.

She sat up in her bed, holding her blankets close to her chest as her eyes were still heavy with exhaustion. The night before wasn't so eventful, not as much as her dreams were. Even after getting eight hours of sleep, she woke up feeling like she had only gotten 30 minutes. Having to wake up after dreaming she had almost been eaten alive by the creatures beyond the orphanage didn't seem like a very good start of the day, either.

Y/N stared at the weak and fading flames in her fireplace, a few feet across her bed. She could hear her friends going about their morning just outside her window, but she tuned out their voices and sat in bed deep in thought. Even ignoring the snowballs being thrown at her window.

There was a pit in her stomach. Unsure if it was from her dreams—wherein most of them she ended up deceased, or if she was just feeling ill. Whatever the reason, something didn't sit right with her today.

Maybe she was just nervous. She was 18 now, and tomorrow was the day Dr. Herzog decided who would be going to the capital. Of course, Y/N wanted to be the one to go. She had only known the comfort of her home at Black Swan Bay, and a chance to visit the capital sounded like a dream.

The odds of her being chosen were slim, as Anton was also of the age to be tested. She didn't dare tell him to his face that his power wasn't nearly as great as his ego. Despite that, Anton would do anything to prove to the director that he was the best option to go to the capital.

The pit in her stomach grew, and Y/N realized Anton was the reasoning behind her feeling unwell. If anyone deserved a chance to go to the capital, it definitely wasn't him.

Y/N rolled her eyes and took a deep breath. Pouting about it wasn't going to change anything. She wasn't as strong as the others, but there had to be a chance that she was at least stronger than Anton. With that in mind, she decided not to dwell too much on it.

She swung her feet over to the edge of her bed, her feet coming in contact with the cold wooden floor. She felt a shiver run down her spine, to which she shook it off. After extending her arms out for a long stretch, Y/N tossed her blanket aside and stood up. The warmth of her bed no longer protecting her from the slight breeze in her room.

Y/N made her way to her wardrobe. Dressed in a short white nightgown, she pulled out her usual attire consisting of a buttoned sweater and a skirt. A blue cape and hood to cover her back from the cold, thigh-high stockings and boots to top it off.

Just as Y/N finished dressing for the day, a knock came at her door. She looked up expectantly, already knowing who it was.

"Come in," she said.