40 - Betrayal

There had been a little disagreement between Z and Zero in regard to how they should deal with the Ace Team.

"I warned them," Zero stated as she paced back and forth in their hotel room, "I told them they had just this one chance to come clean,"

Z replied immediately, "And they still haven't even peeped a word about it to her,"

Zero stopped in place and glared at the ground with a disappointed, devastated expression. "A part of me hoped they'd do it. That they'd push aside their cowardice and tell her the truth,"

Z clicked his tongue and put his hand on Zero's shoulder as he patted it gently. "You can never trust people who are only willing to do things for the greater good,"

Regret rolled past her lips and fueled her eyes in a certain desperation for retribution. Had she had less faith in those fools and more confidence in herself, perhaps Y/N would've left them by now. She'd have come back to them in a heartbeat.

Still, in her cold, hollow heart Zero believed that Y/N would choose them over the Ace Team in a heartbeat. She depended on the hopeful wish of hers that if Y/N saw them for who they truly were—traitors—then she'd run back to them with her arms wide.

She was a fool for giving them a chance. She knew that no one would ever love Y/N as much as she did.

If they cared about her even a fraction as much as Zero did, they would not have hesitated to speak the truth.

If they truly cared, they wouldn't have kept the secret of her demise from her all this time.

She scorned Cassell College for making a tool out of Y/N, whose potential was greater than Zero had ever experienced. Even Z, who was the strongest hybrid she's known, had taken account of Y/N's prowess.

"How do we stop it?" Zero demanded through the blinding bitterness that crowded her mind. "There has to be a way to stop the Dark King without sacrificing her to the gods,"

And Z, who sometimes made Zero wonder if he was even a human with a beating heart, shrugged his shoulders and sneered at her with mocking eyes.

"You've made quite a few acquaintances among the Ace Team, surely you can ask them for help?" he smirked when he watched her icy-blue eyes scowl at him.

"I meant what I said," Zero scolded, "there must be a way to save her,"

Sometimes she believed that Z was a no-good man that only cared about doing things his way or sitting on his ass and watching disaster unfold—disasters that he would be the cause of.

But then she remembered his pathetic softness when it came to Y/N, where it rendered him fond and disgustingly tender.

Although, he seemed to express his feelings in a way that still made him seem ruthlessly vile.

"And I meant what I said," Z expressed, his voice had yet to falter, as though he weren't concerned about that matter in the slightest.

While Enxi informed him of the Ace Team's plan to get the two devil brothers back together, he knew there would be trouble from the moment they allowed Chime Gen to lower their guards. The Kingsblade was always one step ahead.

"I think we should make a surprise encounter, I'd like to introduce myself to the fools that would dare try to use Y/N to save the world," he said as he stared out the window with a crazed gaze, excitement filling his blood-red eyes.

Zero shook her head at him, "We still need to save the world, but our first priority is finding a way to save Y/N first,"

Z scoffed and rolled his eyes, his voice rolled off his tongue smoothly as he was already making his way to the door.