15 - Everything The Snow Buried

Notes
This chapter contains mature/explicit content. Descriptions of blood and death, slight sexual content, guilt, and trauma. Please read at your own discretion.

-

Being four years old was hard, especially when you didn't know anyone around you.

"Come on, Y/N, come meet some of the other kids,"

The young girl had only been there three days, with no vivid recollection of her life before she was sent to the orphanage. She was too young to understand that her parents no longer wanted her. A tall man with a golden monocle came to pick her up and save her from her lonesome.

But coming to Black Swan Bay was harder than any four-year-old could imagine. No one wanted to be her friend, albeit there were only a few other children in the orphanage at the time.

Y/N was first introduced to Mary, the oldest orphan at Black Swan Bay, who acted as an older sister figure to everyone at the orphanage. Mary had brought her to meet four-year-old Anton and Khorkina, but they dismissed her easily. Y/N also did not approve of their bitterness.

Y/N pouted at Mary, stomping out the doors of the orphanage. "I don't want to!" she exclaimed. "I want to be friends with the older kids!"

Mary sighed, "You can't you're only four," but upon saying this, Y/N stuck her tongue out at her. Mary shook her head. "Look, there are some other kids you haven't met yet, and Dr. Herzog said it would be better for you to make friends, otherwise you won't get along with anyone,"

Y/N stomped behind Mary's footprints in the snow, cheeks puffed out in annoyance.

Mary brought her to the bottom of the hill, where a little girl was playing with the arctic foxes. She looked smaller, younger than Y/N, to which she whined.

"I don't want to be friends with a baby!"

Mary huffed, "She's three, she's only a year younger than you,"

"That's a baby!"

Y/N glared at the little blonde girl and rolled her little eyes as she noticed she was still wearing training pants.

"You need to be nice, Y/N. Renata is always nice," Mary said quietly as the two approached the smaller girl.

"What kind of a name is Renata?" Y/N grumpily said, crossing both her arms across her chest in a defensive manner.

Mary only rolled her eyes, grabbing Renata's petite, chubby hands and pulling her gently towards Y/N. The four-year-old's glare towards the younger girl softened as she was met with baby blue eyes and a bright smile.

"She is just a baby," Y/N said quietly, her eyes softened at the sight of the younger girl, "then, I guess I can be her friend. But she has to do everything I say! I'm older!"

"Yes, yes," Mary sighed, "Just, please play nice,"

Y/N stuck her tongue out at Mary once more, before grabbing baby Renata's hand and pulling her up the hill.

-

"Why did you want to be friends with him?"

Y/N and Renata, 8 and 7, sat criss-cross in the middle of their shared room. Y/N peered out the window, stalking the lonely boy kicking snow at a tree, back faced towards the rest of the children playing together.

"I thought he looked cool," Renata answered.

"He looks scary," Y/N said after. "I like Ivan better,"