34 - Gods And Monsters

Notes
This chapter contains mature/explicit content. Descriptions of blood and violence. Please read at your own discretion.

-

Thunder roared in the distance, echoing across the eerie dark sky. Sky Tower stood tall above Tokyo. The steel framing and glass exterior reflected light off of nearby buildings and made it look like a towering beacon.

A storm was brewing as if preparing for the death of a sinner.

Just minutes before midnight, hearts were racing with anticipation. Palms sweaty despite the cool night air, sticking to their weapons in hand.

Caesar, Johann, and Y/N were stationed in the parking lot behind Sky Tower, tasked with dealing with whatever traps had been set at the front door. The Kingsblade's death servitors or Tachibana's men, nothing would stand in their way of entry.

Luminous was perched on the roof of an adjacent building, his sniper rifle pointed towards the entrance of Sky Tower's steel and glass balcony. His jaw was clenched tight, fingers grasped tightly against the cool rim of the gun.

They had Finger positioned just northwest to the deck of Sky Tower, 60 meters away. Finger was being carried in an airship, black, to fade into the darkness of the sky. The similarity of the colors made the airship almost impossible to identify.

"Is everyone in position?" Chime's voice rang throughout all of their earpieces, "can you all hear me clearly?"

"Affirmative," Caesar pressed his earpiece gently, "Finger, you did well connecting all of our lines. Let's hope we can hear the conversation inside as well,"

Finger chuckled over his earpiece, making a crackling static sound, "No need to worry boss, I got that under control too!" he boasted, though his voice was muffled by the harsh wind in the sky.

Chime suddenly interrupted their earpieces, "Shhh! There's a car pulling into the parking lot, get ready,"

Caesar hid behind one car while Johann and Y/N both hid behind a car adjacent to his, watching as a silver and expensive-looking Mercedes-Benz pulled into the lot. The three of them held their breaths, the driver's side door opening and shutting once the man had stepped out.

"Masamune Tachibana drove alone," Caesar whispered through his earpiece, "no sign of anyone else,"

"That's your cue, then," Chime Gen replied. The trio in the parking lot nodded, quickly taking action before Masamune Tachibana could get completely out of sight.

Caesar led the way, careful not to take any steps that would reveal their location to the man they were following. They stayed a few paces behind him, their steps were quiet, like a predator stalking its prey.

Tachibana made it through the sliding glass doors, the entrance of Sky Tower. They watched through the glass and from the shadows as the old man rode the elevator up to the very top.

"You two, make haste and take your positions inside," Caesar ordered Johann and Y/N. The two of them nodded at each other, then back at Caesar, who stood guard just by the entrance. Hoping that they would not have any more visitors for the night.

Johann and Y/N waited for the elevator to come back down. Once it stopped at the entrance, they swiftly entered the box, Johann pressed the button for the top floor, not that there was any other floor to go to.

In the elevator box, Johann turned his head towards Y/N. He could practically hear her heart racing, her eyes zoned in on the ground. He grabbed her hand tightly, and she looked up into his golden pupils.

"You can do this," he reassured, "all we need to do is corner the Kingsblade so that Chime can deal the final blow. I'll be right next to you the entire time,"