sixteen

Manifestation

You wandered aimlessly, trying to lose track of the mirrors relentlessly appearing near you

You wandered aimlessly, trying to lose track of the mirrors relentlessly appearing near you. Whatever fueled you wasn't adrenaline, it was paranoia.

Darkness enveloped you as your breaths grew sloppier, unsure of how far you'd ran.

Who was that woma-

Bits and pieces of memories came flooding in. You remembered the first conversation you had with the strange woman in the white kimono.

"I am you. "

"You are me...?"

"When the man in the alleyway touched you, he tried to manipulate your cursed energy. But because you're a late bloomer, how your body reacted... was different."

"That's why I was formed instead, to protect you in some way," She explained, grazing your cheeks with her crimson painted nails.

"Are you why I'm losing my memories?"

She simply smiled,

"You're not losing your memories. They're just tucked away in this innate domain. Once you're strong enough to control the domain, you'll be able to regain them. You need to be as strong as me. To be my balance."

She was the embodiment of obsession of strength. You understood why she was stronger.

Your desire to grow stronger... was more than your current limits.

"Do you have a name?" You had asked.

"...No."

"Can I call you Akane?" You tilted your head.

She looked at you strangle, her lips curling into a smile.

"Yes. You're an odd human, you know? I can say that even when I'm only a newly formed curse."

You merely chuckled as you glanced at the mirrors surrounding you,

"We're supposed to be similar in a way, right? This is the least I can do."

You gritted your teeth, sweat trickling down your forehead. Memories were rushing in, your own thoughts starting to conflict yourself. You stopped, turning around.

"Akane, are you there?" Only silence filled the domain.

The cursed spirit was still inside of you, deep asleep in her slumber. Despite not needing any sleep, Akane still did so to pass time. However, since you arrived earlier than usual, she wasn't awake.

To be as strong as her?

You glanced at your burnt hands, cringing at the sight. Your obsession to be strong could only be overwhelmed by being as strong as you wanted to be.