thirty

Toge

"Boo

"Boo."

You snickered as Inumaki flinched, whirling to look at you with a bewildered face. You simply stifled another chuckle as you peeked over his shoulders with a peering face. Stretching your arms, you patted the silky carpet of your dorm, tilting your head towards the wide television you had set up. Amid the midnight tranquility, soft crickets and hoots sneaked into the room's silence.

"Overcooked?" He asked, eyes widening in curiosity as you set up the Nintendo Switch onto the monitor.

"Yeah, but I'm pretty bad at it."

You'd be lying if you even dared say you were decent. With a pair of consoles in your hands, you handed the curious boy next to you one, his platinum blonde hair set aglow by the pale moonlight. You found yourself staring at him, right before his eyes met yours. Giving him an assuring smile, you watched as the bright screen flickered in front of you. If Inumaki was new, that meant you had an advantage, right? Right?

"There goes my self-esteem," You weakly muttered, groaning in defeat after merely a few minutes.

Inumaki simply chuckled at your remark, patting your back as you suffered another defeat for the 10th time in a row.

"Aren't you good at cooking?"

"I only can cook a few dishes," You replied sternly.

"Throw me in a kitchen and you'll see me in the news."

You couldn't help but frown at his smug grin, slightly wanting to beat him in at least something. Without hesitation, you turned and grabbed a board you had packed in your luggage when you first moved into the Jujutsu High dorm. Chess. Surely you'd beat him in that too, right? You were dead wrong.

"Checkmate."

"Isn't this unfair?"

Listening to his loud silence, you could only sigh in defeat, the pale moonlight illuminating the figures of you both. You felt the hair behind your neck slightly prickle from the bleak wind, your dorm room dimly lit. Did Inumaki even go easy on you? You knew how competitive he could get, but in games? Suddenly, his voice caught your attention.

"Food's always the answer," Inumaki responded with a thumbs-up, handing you a packed onigiri that you both bought earlier.

With a weak smile, you gave in as you took the plastic sealed rice ball into your hands. What a bribe, you jokingly thought in your mind while you munched on your midnight snack.

It had been a month since you two got together, the end of September nearing quickly. During your time together, you grew more comfortable with your actions. Inumaki's calm presence would assure you that he trusted you, willing to tell you if he wasn't alright with anything.

A subtle drip of rain dropped from the gutter of the dormitory, the wind chimes ringing a melodic song under the eaves. You had always liked wind chimes, thus you bought them yourself. Yawning, a thought suddenly flashed across your mind.

"Inumaki."

He tilted his head at the sound of his name, curious as to why you had called him.

"Can I call you Toge?"

You barely stifled your laughter as Inumaki's cheeks grew slightly pink, surprised at the sudden question appearing out of nowhere. Somehow, it made you want to tease him more. Though you knew that it would just be plain mean to do that.

"No, yes, it's fine," He stuttered out, stumbling over his own words as he nodded his head.

"Are you alright?" You snickered, glimpsing at his flustered face.

You leaned forward towards him, eager to push his patience just a bit more. It wasn't everyday that you got to see him all embarrassed, and you wanted to have your revenge from before. Reaching out your hand to ruffle his hair, you slightly flinched as he swiftly grabbed your wrist in the air.

"Please stop."

A soft mutter came from Toge, his face still buried in his other hand. Was he really that embarrassed over just a first name? Or was it because your face was too close to his?

You gave him a soft chortle, finally pulling backwards and slipping your hand away from his. Maybe you went too far, though the flustered boy in front of you didn't seem to dislike it.

"Sorry," You apologized, standing up from the warm carpet below.

Suddenly, you felt a small tug on your shirt. Glancing down below, you noticed that it was Toge, his head slightly tilted away with a subtle shake.

"Can I stay here a bit longer?"

You simply simpered, wondering why he even had to ask.

"Of course."