e i g h t

//TRIGGER WARNING//
<violent and graphic depictions of SA>

Olivia

I put my phone in my pocket, the barista calling my name and setting my coffee on the counter. Seeing that she remembered to add extra caramel makes me smile, giving her a nod which she returns.

I pick up a straw and take the first sugar filled gulp of my afternoon frappe. God I love it. I can't do bitter coffee.

I step outside as a hand grabs my shoulder, making me turn around, "Oh hey Jess."

She smiles up at me, her dimples dipping in her cheeks, "Wanna walk to class together?"

I have my next lecture with her. She's the only girl in that class that's friendly with me. I take another sip of my drink and nod. She's pretty talkative so she carries the conversation all on her own with barely any help from me. Just as our building comes into view she stops, gasping like she just remembered something important.

"Olivia, did you hear?!" She bounces on her feet, pulling her phone out of her pocket to scroll through messages.

I snicker, wiping whip cream from the side of my lip, "Hear what? You kinda have to give me more information than that."

Her girly smirk widens when she finds what she's looking for, "Word is our professor is announcing our project for finals today."

"What?! So soon?" I ask, stretching my neck to peek at her screen.

She turns her phone to me, repeating the words out loud as I read, "The assignment is supposed to take a while to complete if done seriously and if we put genuine effort in. Even if the end of the semester is still three months away."

"That's not terrifying at all," I scoff and she puts her phone back in her pocket.

Jess clutches her hands together excitedly, "Oh absolutely. But it's kind of exciting isn't it?"

I sip on my drink, my eyes wandering her expression. I love writing with a passion but I suspect hers burns just a spark brighter than mine. "I just hope we have some freedom with the subject and we aren't tied down with some BS prompts."

Her lips move to the side in thought and she nods, "I hope it's not genre limiting either. It's creative writing for gods sake, let us be creative."

We laugh in unison and walk to class as we debate what we think the project will be.

<<<>>>

     The lecture went by fast, the professor wrapping things up with a knowing smirk. She slaps her hands onto her podium, raising her voice, "I'm sure most of you have already heard what I would be announcing today. Your uneasy fidgeting and constipated complexions gave you away."

Chuckling echoes through the room, students biting their lips and sitting on the edges of their seats. The room goes silent except for the faintest whispers as we wait for the professor to explain further.

She picks up a beige folder and lifts it in the air, "This year's final project will be challenging. A large portion of your final grade will depend on it."