t h i r t y ~ s i x

I'm back from my
Month long hiatus!!! Sorry y'all had to
wait but I'm back to updating regularly <3

Olivia

I used to say I like the cold better than the heat but not no more. I hate winter. Winter sucks and it can shrivel up and die in a icky gooey gross sewer.

I had the cutest outfit planned today but these snow boots I got from Walmart ruined it. Maria is gonna comment on it. I know she is. Fucking fashion police.

I push open the café's door and stomp the snow off my feet, the coffee scented warmth filling my lungs as I take a deep breath to erase the chill in my bones.

I shrug off my coat and immediately catch the lightning blue hair of my best friend at a booth off to the side of the cafe.

I tug at the collar of my mock neck sweater and walk over to where she is. I replay Rowan's words in my brain to psych myself up.

She's your best friend, she'll understand.

But I've essentially been ignoring her since me and Rowan got together officially. I've been spending any time that I'm not at school with him. We study together, eat together, sleep together. It's been hard for me to feel bad too, Maria's been spending all her time with her cousin and her other friends so it's not like she's been asking me to hang out everyday.

When I get behind her I lower my mouth to her ear, "Heya sexy bitch."

She flinches and covers her ear as she leans away from me, eyes narrowed at me, "Don't scare me like that, super slut, or I'll karate chop your throat."

I stifle my laugh and take the seat across from her, the tips of my fingers feeling like ice. I reach into my book bag and bring out a small cellophane box of homemade cookies and slide it in front of Maria. I smile guiltily, "I know you love my frosted sugar cookies so I brought you a couple. You can share them with Talia if you want."

Maria taps her long manicured nails on the box with a look of deep thought. The momentary hesitation makes my palms start to sweat.

She leans her chin to rest in her hand and looks up at me, "You can't buy my forgiveness with sweets, no matter how fucking delicious your baking is. Spill. What gives?"

I wince and evade her scrutinizing gaze to look out the window, focusing on the piles of fluffy snow sprinkled across the campus. "School has been hectic and...I've been dealing with some stuff."

I hear her scoff, "When is school not hectic, Liv? And don't try and pull the personal shit card with me, we've always relied on each other. So what changed?"

A moment of silence passes when my throat constricts with what to say.

She starts assuming, "Is it Rowan?"

Before I have the chance to suppress it I flinch and she laughs bitterly, "Honey, you've lost yourself in this fake relationship and you're letting it consume you. You haven't been going to parties or socializing as much as you used to and when you do you're always glued to his side, putting on a show of star crossed lovers."

I blink at her, wide-eyed. My heart starts to slam against my lungs and I take a deep breath, about to tell her everything that has happened in the past month, how blissfully happy I am now when her delicate features twist with reluctance.