t h i r t y

Olivia

Why are there so many people here? I know for a fact this isn't the only party tonight so what gives? Couldn't Liam have kept this smaller...more like a controlled get-together.

I wish my voice could be as loud as a megaphone so I can scream Maria's name and it would reach two blocks away. She should stick out like a sore thumb with her Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas bright blue hair. But no. She must be hiding on the roof or in a bush outside because if not I need to go to the eye doctor. I know the name but the only word coming to mind is an Orthopedic surgeon and I know that has to do with bones so it's not that.

Walking around this party, aimlessly searching for my best friend isn't helping the incessant buzzing of oversensitivity left from Rowan's kiss.

I don't know what I expected him to say. When the excuse to leave left my mouth and I walked away regret and surprise brought forth a cold sweat. I wanted him to kiss me just to kiss me. But when he said he did it for the sake of our sham of a relationship something cracked in me with a resounding pop.

The muscles in my jaw are shaking and I'm clenching my teeth together so hard as I will myself to calm down.

Anytime I let my mind wander I can still feel the heat of his hands sliding over my skin tight clothes and brushing my neck, lust and need whipping my nerves into a sharp sting of awareness. I can't wipe it off me, I can't even bite my lip to distract myself because my lips are raw and wet from his tongue. I want to leave it untouched because if it goes away, it's disappearance would be like a sad metaphor.

Yet excitement still thumps my chest that everyone that looks at me can tell I've been kissed mindless.

I turn into an empty hallway, two girls whispering and pulling each other into a crowded  guest room. Only a fight or some form of public humiliation would gather so many people. The perfect place for a specific blue haired Latina to wander to. I ready myself to yell at her for hiding from me when someone bursts from the room and clips my shoulder. I hold back a curse as they hobble away in a drunken mess.

I roll my eyes. I'm getting in and out of this room as fast as I can. I hope I don't even see what's happening in there. Violence and bullying is not entertaining to me.

Just my luck though, the door is blocked by a bumblebee and a slutty cowboy. I try to excuse myself through them but it's like they're in a trance and surprisingly hard to move.

All the noise in the room shushes to two voices, a woman and a man. The subtle mumbling of the couple is kind of familiar but I can't place it. I finally squeeze through the first wall of people keeping me out but I'm still one amongst many. How many people are squeezed in here? This has to be a fire safety issue.

I lift to my tippy toes and sweep the crowd for the electric blue head. I lock eyes with a girl to my right and her eyes go wide and look away before meeting me again. She leans to someone next to her and whispers, both sets flicking to me. Okay...nice to know people still stare and talk about me in my face even after I broke up with Canardi's quarterback.

My name reaches my ears like I'm tuned into it with pinpoint precision. The only two people speaking were the culprits so I squeeze through another wall of bright costumes, the sliver of space between the people in front of me large enough for me to peak through to see the other side of the room.